Withdrawal from the University and Leaves of Absence

Full-time day students who find it necessary to withdraw from the University should promptly file the required forms in the office of the dean of their college. Students may not withdraw from the University after the deadline for withdrawal from courses without incurring failures in the courses for which they are enrolled at the time.

Withdrawal procedures should not be started without prior consultation with the assistant dean. Refunds for withdrawals will be calculated on the basis of the date when the required written approval for withdrawals is received in the Office of Academic Records. (See Refund Policies and Procedures.) Once withdrawn, a student must apply for readmission through their College Dean’s Office. 

Leave of Absence

Full-time day students in good standing may request a one-semester leave of absence (renewable on written request, and at the dean’s discretion, for one additional semester). To request a leave of absence, a student must write a letter in a timely manner, preferably at least two weeks before the semester begins, to the appropriate assistant dean, discussing the reason (e.g., illness, family crisis) for the request. The dean of the student’s college, acting on a case-by-case basis, will have sole authority to grant leave requests. During a leave of absence and at least one month prior to the subsequent semester, the student must inform the assistant dean in writing of an intention to return. The assistant dean of the student’s college, upon approval by the dean of the college, will inform the Office of Academic Records each time a leave is granted and also on receipt of written notice of intention to return.


Students seeking readmission to Fordham University after a withdrawal or leave of absence should contact their College Dean regarding the reapplication or re-entry process