Bilingual Special Education (Adv Cert)
The Bilingual Special Education Advanced Certificate program is for teachers who already possess initial, provisional, permanent, or professional certification in special education. The program leads to an advanced certificate and to endorsement for an extension to the special education certification to teach bilingual special education.
Individuals who are matriculated in an initial teacher education program in special education at Fordham University may also apply.
In addition to the general admissions requirements for the Graduate School of Education, applicants must have the following:
- a copy of New York State initial/provisional/professional or permanent certification as a classroom teacher (early childhood, childhood, or adolescence) or proof of matriculation in a teacher education program (early childhood, childhood, or adolescence) at Fordham University
- 12 credits in a language other than English
- 3 credits in English Literature
- 3 credits in English Composition/Writing
- International candidates for whom English is an additional language are required to take and achieve a passing score in one of two tests: the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Test (IELT). The following scores are the recommended minimum current1 test scores for English language proficiency for admission to the Graduate School of Education:
- IELTS1: 7 for General Test Score; no subtest can be lower than 6
- TOEFL1: 577 for paper test, 90 for Internet based (IBT) test
- minimum 3.0 GPA in graduate work
- two professional/academic recommendations
Scores can be no more than two years old.
Program of Study
|CTGE 5841||Principles of Bilingual Education 1||3|
|CTGE 5842||Second Language Acquisition and Assessment||3|
|CTGE 5851||Bilingual Instruction Across Subject Areas||3|
|CTGE 5852||Multilingual Oracy and Literacy 1||3|
|CTGE 6781||Instructing Bilingual Special Education Students 1||3|
Requires completion of 15-20 hours of fieldwork in a school that has a bilingual education program.