Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (Adv Cert)
NYSED 32677/32793; ITI 40174
The TESOL Advanced Certificate program is for teachers holding an initial, provisional, permanent, or professional certificate in early childhood (birth–grade 2), childhood (grades 1–6), or adolescence (grades 7–12 in any one of the subject areas offered at Fordham) education who are interested in expanding their knowledge about working with Emergent Bilingual students (EBs). Individuals who do not possess an initial teaching certification but are matriculated in an initial teacher education program at Fordham University may also apply.
The program leads to an advanced certificate and to endorsement for an extension to teach English as a second language.
In addition to the general admissions requirements for the Graduate School of Education, applicants must have the following:
- a copy of New York state initial, provisional, professional, or permanent certification as a classroom teacher (early childhood, childhood, or adolescence) or proof of matriculation in a teacher education program (early childhood, childhood, or adolescence) at Fordham University
- 12 credits in a language other than English
- 3 credits in English literature
- 3 credits in English composition/writing
- International candidates for whom English is an additional language are required to take and achieve a passing score in one of two tests: the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Test (IELT). The following scores are the recommended minimum current1 test scores for English language proficiency for admission to the Graduate School of Education:
- IELTS1: 7 for General Test Score; no subtest can be lower than 6
- TOEFL1: 577 for paper test, 90 for Internet based (IBT) test
- minimum 3.0 GPA in graduate work
- two professional/academic recommendations
Scores can be no more than two years old.
Program of Study
|CTGE 5841||Principles of Bilingual Education 1||3|
|CTGE 5842||Second Language Acquisition and Assessment 1||3|
|CTGE 5845||Learning Content Through Language in Multilingual Classrooms 1||3|
|CTGE 5846||Teaching English Oracy and Literacy to Speakers of Other Languages 1||3|
|CTGE 6401||Teaching the Structure of the English Language 1||3|
|CTGE 5848||TESOL Student Teaching I||0|
Requires a minimum of 10 hours of fieldwork in a school that has an ESL program.