Creative Writing Minor
The minor in creative writing consists of six courses. Four courses must be in creative writing (courses with the attribute code CVW), and the remaining two courses must be in literature: ENGL courses at the 3000 or 4000 level or courses offered in other departments with the attribute code ENGL.
Requirements for English Majors
In order to minor in creative writing, students majoring in English must take four creative writing courses total (courses with the CVW attribute). They must also take two literature courses beyond those already required for the major (literature courses are ENGL courses at the 3000 or 4000 level or courses offered in other departments with the attribute code ENGL). Because two of the four creative writing courses can double count as electives for the major, however, majors only need to complete four additional courses beyond those already required for the major. In other words, students completing the English major plus creative writing minor will end up taking fourteen courses total, including four creative writing courses:
|Ten required courses for the English major|
Includes two creative writing courses taken as electives
|Two additional creative writing courses|
|Two additional literature courses|
- Courses in which a student receives a grade of D or F will not count toward the minor.
- Up to one cognate course taken in other departments or programs deemed relevant to the minor may be counted with permission of the associate chair.
- Up to one course taken while studying abroad deemed relevant to the minor may be counted.
- For students who transfer from another school to Fordham, the department will consider counting up to one course taken prior to arrival at Fordham toward the minor.
- Credits earned for internships do not count for credit toward the minor. Internship credits do count for general credits toward graduation. In order to receive academic credit for an internship, you must have completed 60 academic credits, have a minimum 3.0 GPA, and register for a tutorial with a faculty member who agrees to serve as your academic adviser. Depending on the amount of academic work involved in the tutorial, your faculty mentor will suggest that you register for a one- or two-credit tutorial. Internships are graded on a Pass/Fail basis.
- Advanced Placement credits in English Literature and in English Language count toward a student’s total number of credits in the college but not within the minor. A score of 4 or 5 in AP English Literature will count toward college elective credits.
- Students may count no more than one course from the following to their Creative Writing Minor: FITV 2511 Screenwriting I, JOUR 3723 Interviews and Profiles, JOUR 3727 Writing for Magazines, THEA 3700 Playwriting.
- Courses taken on a Pass/Fail basis cannot be counted towards Creative Writing minor requirements.
The minor in creative writing is available at Fordham College at Rose Hill, Fordham College at Lincoln Center, and Fordham's School of Professional and Continuing Studies at Rose Hill, Lincoln Center, and Westchester.