Special Education/Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Advanced Certificate
The English as a Second Language Special Education Extension Program is for teachers who already possess initial, provisional, permanent, or professional certification in special education. Individuals who do not possess an initial teaching certification but are matriculated in an initial teacher education program in special education at Fordham University may also apply.
The program leads to an endorsement for an extension to the special education certification to teach ESL special education. The program does not lead to an academic degree.
In addition to the general admissions requirements for the Graduate School of Education, applicants must have the following:
- a copy of NYS initial/provisional/professional or permanent certification as a classroom teacher (special education) or proof of matriculation in a teacher education program (special education) at Fordham University
- 12 credits in a language other than English
- 3 credits in English Literature
- 3 credits in English composition/writing
- International candidates for whom English is an additional language are required to take and achieve a passing score in one of two tests: the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELT (International English Language Test). The following scores are the recommended minimum current1 test scores for English language proficiency for admission to the Graduate School of Education:
- IELTS1: 7 for General Test Score; no subtest can be lower than 6
- TOEFL1: 577 for paper test, 90 for Internet-based (IBT) test
- minimum of 3.0 GPA in graduate work
- two professional/academic recommendations
Scores can be no more than two years old.
Program of Study
|CTGE 5842||Second Language Acquisition and Assessment 1||3|
|CTGE 6781||Instructing Bilingual Special Education Students 1||3|
|CTGE 5846||Teaching English Oracy and Literacy to Speakers of Other Languages 1||3|
|CTGE 6401||Teaching the Structure of the English Language 1||3|
|CTGE 5845||Learning Content Through Language in Multilingual Classrooms 1||3|
|CTGE 5848||TESOL Student Teaching I||0|
|CTGE 5200||Field Experience Seminar: Issues in Reflective Practice||0|
Requires completion of 10 hours of fieldwork in a school that has a bilingual education program.