Enrollment and Registration

Procedure for Registration

  1. Log in to my.fordham.edu, click on Degree Works, and check your status in your current program online. Note that any exceptions your adviser makes to your degree requirements will need to be communicated to the registrar in order to appear on this worksheet. Your adviser should submit those changes to the assistant dean.

  2. Meet with your adviser to discuss course selection. Your adviser is identified on your Degree Works page on the student tab of your my.fordham.edu account. Visit the dean’s office for further assistance.

  3. Register through Banner online according to the dates listed on the academic calendar. 

Special Registration

Regularly scheduled courses as listed in the GRE Course Schedule (found in the GRE Student Group within Blackboard) will constitute the bulk of coursework for students. Other options for registration include courses offered at other Fordham graduate schools and audits. Students may also enquire about courses through the New York Theological Consortium.

Intercampus Registration

Students who wish to register for courses that are offered in another Fordham graduate school must first obtain the permission of their faculty adviser and the assistant dean. After such permission is obtained, students must obtain permission from the course instructor and the other school’s dean.

Continuous Enrollment

All GRE certificate and degree programs have a continuous enrollment policy. This means that graduate students matriculated in the program must register themselves every fall and spring semester until graduation. Students are considered registered when enrolled for coursework, relevant dissertation, or major paper-related activities, or maintenance of matriculation. The only exception to this policy is the case of a leave of absence approved by the dean for serious and documented medical or personal reasons. Students who fail to continuously enroll will be dismissed from their program and must reapply, and must then meet the degree entrance requirements at the time of re-application. In order to qualify for any form of GRE financial aid, students must take at least six credits per semester.

Registration Changes

Students may add and drop courses online in accordance with the dates specified in the GRE academic calendar. Students may add, drop, or change the grade type of courses without incurring the grade of “W” during the registration period. Students are encouraged to check with their faculty adviser before adding or dropping courses.

A student may drop courses up to the date specified in the GRE academic calendar, thereby incurring a grade of “W.” Students must submit a memorandum including their name, contact information, degree program, student ID number (FIDN), and full information on the requested changes to the assistant dean. If a student drops courses after that date, a grade of “WF” is incurred. Students have until Friday of the 3rd week of an online session to withdraw without incurring a “WF.” Students withdrawing from courses are liable for tuition and fees according to the schedule published on the Fordham Admissions and Financial Aid website.

Adding courses or changing from audit to credit is permitted only up to the last day for registration and only with the written approval of the program director. 

A student registered for a course for credit may change their status to audit with the approval of the program director up to the last day of the add/drop period. After this date, a student may only do so with the dean’s permission up to one week before the last class/final examination. 


The refund of tuition, fees, payments, or the cancellation of charges incurred for tuition, fees, or housing are based on schedules that are issued by enrollment services and published on the University website. They are based on University Policy and are not within the purview of the program director or the dean’s office. The amount refunded or canceled is normally based on the date of withdrawal. Note that the refund policy for online courses differs from other courses. 

The University's refund policies and procedures ensure equitable refunds to students who prematurely terminate all or a portion of their studies.

Non-refundable fees: application, late registration, tuition deposits, and Lombardi membership.

Non-refundable fees after classes begin: student activities fees, laboratory or any other special course fees, and maintenance of matriculation.

Tuition refunds are granted only when a student formally withdraws from the University by filing an official withdrawal form with the bursar's office. Withdrawal forms are available through the office of the dean and must be signed by the dean. The effective date of withdrawal will be the date this form is received by the bursar, or, in the case of withdrawal by mail delivered to the office of the dean, the post office postmark date on the correspondence. Refund checks will be mailed to the student's home address approximately four weeks after the request has been received by the bursar's office. No refunds will be processed until the University has actually received funds from third party payers (i.e. employers, governmental agencies, payment plan services).

The above schedule is based on 100% tuition payment. A week is a seven-calendar-day period beginning with the first day of the semester. Students who withdraw owing any payments will be responsible for the balance due up to the time of withdrawal and will be liable for any costs in the collection of delinquent accounts.

A request for refund or cancellation of charges for tuition other than that listed in the schedule will be considered only if the actual date of the withdrawal is different from that which is indicated on University records. Such a change will be made only for extraordinary reasons. If a student wishes to request such a change, the request must be submitted in writing to the dean’s office and fully detailed. Supporting documentation to justify the change must be submitted with the request.

Failure to Register

Matriculated students who are neither registered nor on approved leave of absence for two continuous semesters are automatically dismissed from GRE. If they desire to continue their education at Fordham, they must apply for readmission following the current procedure, and receive the approval of the director of admission. Such readmission is not automatic. 


The University and its Board of Trustees reserve the right to adjust, without notice, these charges to reflect economic conditions. Please see our website at fordham.edu/gre for current costs of attendance including tuition, fees, and other financial information. 

Procedure for Change of Adviser

When students wish to change their adviser, they must submit a written request to the assistant dean. The request should include the student’s name, ID number, and detailed, specific reasons for the request. Changes are granted only in exceptional circumstances. 

Procedure for Change of Program

When students wish to apply to change their concentration, program, or degree, they must seek admission to the new concentration, program or degree by contacting the director of admission and completing a new application. Before beginning this process, the change should be discussed with your faculty adviser and a faculty member in the program for which you are considering admission.

Leave of Absence

If a student is unable to take any course during a particular semester, a leave of absence may be granted with the approval of the dean at least 30 days before the beginning of the semester in question. No maintenance of matriculation fee will be required if such a leave is requested in writing and approved. It should be noted that it is the responsibility of the student to make such a request before the fact so that the assistant dean can inform the appropriate University offices, e.g. academic records and enrollment services. Otherwise, it is assumed that the regular fee for maintenance of matriculation is to be paid. Requests for leaves of absence are for one academic semester only and are not renewable without a new application.

Students who encounter circumstances that prevent their continuous enrollment may request a leave of absence through the program director and assistant dean. A leave of absence is normally granted only for extraordinary personal reasons outside the student’s control that prevent involvement in graduate studies (e.g. serious medical problems). In other situations, such as employment opportunities, students are expected to register for maintenance of matriculation (master’s students) or doctoral mentoring (doctoral students).

The request for a leave should specify the reason for the leave and the time period involved, and include related documentation. The dean will grant, deny, or modify the recommendation. 

Students who are on academic probation may not be granted an unconditional leave of absence. 

Time on a leave of absence counts towards the time limit for completion of a degree. Leaves will not be granted to students whose time limits expire during the period of the leave. 

Summer sessions are not included in the maintenance of matriculation fee requirement, except in the instance of the completion of some final requirement after all coursework has been completed, with the expectation of graduation that summer.


When seeking a substitution or waiver from a required course, students should meet with their faculty adviser to discuss the request. Afterwards, students can complete the waiver process online.

The waiver of a course requirement allows a student to avoid duplicating a course they have taken at the same level elsewhere in the past. The waiver does not provide transfer credits to the student in question. The waiver simply allows the student to take an alternate class to make up for the credits from the waiver process.

The waiver form must be filled out completely and then submitted online to the assistant dean. Please allow eight weeks for a decision, as the process must move through committees that meet monthly. Along with the waiver form, please submit the syllabus of the non-GRE course for the waiver, substitution, or transfer credit. If the request involves a course not previously submitted to GRE, please also have an official transcript sent at the time of the request. This form must be submitted at least one semester before graduation (i.e. by October 1, 2020 for a May 2021 graduation date). Requests will not be reviewed until at least six credits have been successfully completed in your current program at GRE.


A student in good academic standing who has completed at least 12 credits may register for a tutorial to supplement regularly scheduled courses. Students may take a tutorial as (a) a substitute for a course required for degree completion that is not being offered in the student’s final semester of coursework; (b) as a directed reading on a thesis topic that is not offered at GRE; and (c) in exceptional cases, as a substitute for a core degree requirement. Students must fill out a tutorial request form and submit it to the assistant dean, together with a written rationale for the course. The form is available from the assistant dean In consultation with the dean and faculty, the assistant dean will either approve or deny the request. If approved, a faculty will be assigned to facilitate the tutorial. A student on academic probation may not take a tutorial.

A tutorial given by a faculty member outside the student’s school requires approval by the adviser and the program director.

The tutorial request form is submitted to enrollment services in order to complete the registration process.

New York Theological Consortium Registration

Graduate School of Religion and Religious Education students have the opportunity to take graduate courses in New York-area schools participating in the New York Theological Consortium Cross-Registration.


  • Be a Graduate School of Religion and Religious Education master's or doctoral student

  • Students will be permitted to take courses not available at the home institution in the academic year in which cross-registration is sought and not “core” or “required” courses for the degree at the home institution without the explicit permission of the program coordinator at the home institution

  • Students will be allowed to take one course per semester or other academic terms (except for summer language courses if necessary).

  • Only GRE graduate students in good standing shall be eligible to register for classes

New York Theological Consortium Cross-Registration Agreement members:

  • Fordham University, Graduate School of Arts and Science

  • Fordham University, Graduate School of Religion and Religious Education

  • Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York

  • The General Theological Seminary of the Episcopal Church

  • St. Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary

  • New York Theological Seminary

  • Hebrew Union College – Jewish Institute of Religion

  • The Jewish Theological Seminary

To take Theological Consortium courses, you need the approval of your department/program chair and must complete the Theological Consortium Cross Registration Form.


Voluntary Withdrawal

Students in good standing may voluntarily withdraw from the program by completing the University withdrawal/leave of absence form, available from the assistant dean. Once they have withdrawn, they must apply for readmission. 

Withdrawal by the University 

Under limited circumstances, the University reserves the right to withdraw a student whose physical, mental, or emotional health becomes a detriment to the student's continued ability to reside in University housing or their successful completion of academic requirements. The University also reserves the right to withdraw a student whenever the student fails to undertake measures recommended for their own personal health and safety