Matriculated students are those accepted for and actively working toward either a degree or a certificate offered by the Graduate School of Religion and Religious Education. All students matriculate upon acceptance into their respective program.

Acceptance as a matriculated student of the Graduate School of Religion and Religious Education is incompatible with matriculation in the degree programs of any other graduate or professional school, except in those instances where a formal joint-degree program has been established. 

Students who are in the process of completing a degree (whether at Fordham or another institution) at the time of their acceptance into a graduate program must submit an official transcript indicating that the degree was awarded. Copies of transcripts are admissible at the time of application; however, students must submit an official copy sent directly from the institution they attended. If the transcript is not received by the second week of the first semester, a hold will be placed on the student’s registration and records.

Conditional Admission, Provisional Admission, and Modified Degree Requirements

Students admitted on a “conditional” basis must maintain a specified grade point average (GPA) or otherwise meet specified coursework requirements to resolve any academic deficiencies in their preparation. Such students are considered matriculated upon their registration/enrollment (see Matriculation). Upon satisfactory completion of the conditions outlined in the student’s letter of acceptance, or when specified in a letter to the student from the department or program, the student is released from “conditional admission” status and will remain a matriculated student in good standing for so long as the normal requirements of GRE and of the department or program are met (see Degree Requirements). The department chairperson or program director will initially determine when the required conditions have been met, subject to the approval of the graduate school.

Students who do not complete the previously stated conditions will be dropped from the rolls of the University. Waivers to any specified conditions must be approved in writing by the dean. Students may also be offered “provisional” admission, under which they are required to complete certain conditions, including (but not limited to) the submission of letters of recommendation or test scores, before admission will be granted. Students will not be considered matriculated until these conditions are met. The graduate school reserves the right to modify degree requirements to include additional coursework for students whose academic preparation is deemed by the faculty in some way to be deficient. In particular, students for whom English is a second language (ESL) may be required to complete additional English-language coursework.

Deferral of Admission 

It is GRE policy not to permit a deferral of admission, though admitted students may seek permission to delay matriculation by no more than one year. If an accepted student wishes to reapply the following academic year, the student must do so by submitting a new online application. However, admission is not admission upon re-application. Any exceptions must be approved in writing by the dean. Application materials (e.g. letters of recommendation, Graduate Record Examination [GRE] scores) typically remain on file for up to 18 months after their initial submission. Any change of program or degree requires a new application.


If a student is dismissed for failure to maintain an adequate grade point average or failure to make satisfactory academic progress, the student may not reapply. 

A student who is dismissed for any other reason or who has withdrawn voluntarily may reapply. Students who fail to enroll for two consecutive semesters will be dismissed and will need to reapply. Students who wish to reapply should contact GRE’s director of admissions. 

Non-Matriculated (Non-Degree) Students 

Permission to register as a non-matriculated or non-degree student is awarded by GRE and is granted on a course-by-course basis. Individuals who wish to register as non-matriculated or non-degree students must apply on the GRE website and secure the necessary approvals. Falsifying any information on this application, failing to file the application each semester, or failing to secure the necessary approvals will invalidate registration. The student remains liable for tuition and fees notwithstanding the validity of the registration. Students who qualify for non-matriculated/non-degree registration will have earned an undergraduate degree with at least a “B” average in their major field of study and may fall into one of the following categories: 

  • Students not seeking a degree who wish to take courses for personal enrichment

  • Students who wish to take courses pending application to a degree program

  • Students who wish to take courses in order to transfer these credits to another graduate program in which they are matriculated

Students who are denied admission to the GRE as matriculated students may not enroll in courses on a non-degree/non-matriculated degree basis without the written approval of the dean. GRE and Fordham University have no obligation to admit any individual who has registered as a non-degree/non-matriculated student or to grant a degree to such a student, no matter how many credits have been completed. Non-degree/non-matriculated students may take up to six credits in GRE, with the approval of the department chairperson and the dean. Approval for non-degree/non-matriculated status for more than six GRE credits is not normally granted. If extraordinary circumstances justify non-degree/non-matriculated status for more than six credits, the student must obtain the explicit written recommendation of the department chairperson and the written approval of the dean. No more than six credits taken as a non-degree/non-matriculated student may ultimately count toward any GRE program of study; any exception to this policy requires the written approval of the dean. 

Non-degree/non-matriculated students who register for the first time are considered “new non-degree/non-matriculated” students upon registration. Those who have registered for up to two years are considered “continuing non-degree/non-matriculated” students. Students who have not registered for two academic years are again considered “new non-degree/non-matriculated students” upon subsequent registration and must submit a new application for non-degree study.