Peace and Justice Studies Minor
The minor requires six courses and two further credits linked to experiential learning:
|Select one introductory course||4|
|Select one of the following: 1||4|
|Community Service/Social Action|
|Conflict Resolution and Justice Creation|
|Select four electives 2||16|
|Select two credits in experiential learning||2|
Or similar approved capstone course on social justice movements and conflict resolution.
Any course with the PJST attribute code (or PJST 4999) may qualify for this requirement. Ideally these should include at least one peace-focused course and one justice-focused course. Students should select these electives in consultation with the program adviser.
Students are encouraged to take PJST 3110, but may substitute any of the courses listed below as well.
Courses in this group have the PJIN attribute.
|COMC 3330||Peace, Justice, and the Media||4|
|PHIL 4310||Human Rights in Context||4|
|PHIL 4473||War and Peace: Just War Theory||4|
|PJST 3110||Introduction to Peace and Justice||4|
|POSC 3228||Civil Rights||4|
|POSC 3511||War and Peace||4|
|POSC 3522||United Nations||4|
|POSC 4515||Seminar: International Politics of Peace||4|
|SOCI 2420||Social Problems of Race and Ethnicity||4|
|SOCI 3001||Ethical Issues in Justice||4|
|SOCI 3110||Global Conflict: Wars/Religion||4|
|SOCI 3405||Gender, Race, and Class||4|
|THEO 4847||Theologies of Liberation||4|
The required two credits of experiential learning regarding peace and justice issues may be earned by completing two of the following service opportunities.
- an approved course with a Service Learning attribute (SL) or Community Engaged Learning attribute (CEL)
- an approved Global Outreach trip
- an approved program at the Center For Community Engaged Learning or other Fordham office (e.g., Multicultural Affairs, Campus Ministry)
- an approved practicum at the Social Innovation Collaboratory
- an approved study abroad program that includes service learning, e.g., Casa de la Solidaridad (El Salvador), Ubuntu (South Africa), or CIEE Capetown
- other approved volunteer work or internship
To apply for approval of credits, email the program director 1) a description of the experiential learning service work and 2) the number of work hours/days.
The peace and justice studies minor is available to students in Fordham College at Rose Hill, Fordham College at Lincoln Center, the School of Professional and Continuing Studies, and to undergraduate students at Gabelli School of Business.