Student Academic Policies and Procedures Manual

Students are responsible for knowing the School and University’s policies and procedures as published in this Handbook and, as relevant, the Field Education Manual.

This Student Handbook provides information for Fordham University Graduate School of Social Service students. The information is subject to change at any point in time. The Fordham University Graduate School of Social Service reserves the right to depart, without notice, from any policy or procedure referred to in this handbook.

Academic Standing Requirements

Students are considered to be in good academic standing when a B average (GPA 3.0) or better is maintained, and a grade of Satisfactory (S) has been received for Field Instruction and Field Integrative Seminars. Doctoral students are allowed no more than one grade lower than B.

Grading Policy

To receive credit for a course, you must be in regular attendance throughout a semester and satisfactorily complete all course requirements. The minimum passing grade is the letter grade C.

Students will receive grades according to the policy adopted by the faculty. Grades for GSS, with their numerical equivalents and descriptions, are:

Letter Grade Numerical Equivalent Grade Description
A 95-100% (4.00/4.00) Excellent
A- 90-94% (3.75/4.00) Very good
B+ 87-89% (3.50/4.00) Good
B 83-86% (3.00/4.00) Satisfactory
B- 80-82% (2.75/4.00) Marginally adequate
C+ 76-79% (2.50/4.00) Not adequate, but passing
C 70-75% (2.00/4.00) Minimally passing
F 0-69% (0.00/4.00) Failing

If a student receives a grade of F for a course, it will remain on the student’s record, even after the course is retaken and a passing grade is subsequently earned. The grade of a repeated course is also recorded on the academic record and does not remove or replace a grade previously earned.

Policy on the Use of "Incomplete" (M.S.W. Students)

A grade of "Incomplete" is generally discouraged and only employed when faculty conclude that a student is unable to complete assigned course work due to serious extenuating circumstances. An "Incomplete" (INC) is a grade given at the request of the student in writing to the course instructor. A timeframe acceptable to both the student and faculty member must be agreed upon (usually only up to four weeks). The recommendation is that this timeframe not extend beyond four weeks after the final class of the semester. An "INC" will convert to an "F" if it is not changed within a four-week period.

If all work is not completed and submitted during the semester and no arrangements for an "Incomplete" have been made, an NGR (No Grade-Reported) can be given. "NGR"s will also convert to an "F" if not converted to an earned grade within a four-week period.

An instructor is under no obligation to accept work from a student after the mutually agreed upon timeframe. It is the instructor’s decision whether to re-negotiate the contract. As in all matters related to grading, an instructor’s decision about a grade-related matter is always final.

No student may progress into the advanced/specialist phase of study in the M.S.W. program with either an "Incomplete" or "NGR" or "F" grade(s) in any foundation/generalist course.

To ensure the timely removal of an "INC" or "NGR," it is the instructor's responsibility to complete and submit a change of grade through the faculty portal workflow. The designated administrator in the Dean's Office will review and approve the change, and in some cases, it may also require approval from the Associate Provost.

Policy on the Use of "Incomplete" (Ph.D. Students)

Incompletes in a course are granted only in case of an emergency. Excessive time demands will not be considered justification for an "Incomplete" grade. Students should anticipate their workload demands, including coursework, outside employment, and family and personal obligations when signing up for courses at the beginning of the semester. A signed contract with the instructor, specifying the nature of the emergency and the revised completion date, is required. The revised completion date must be within one month of the end of the course, except in extreme circumstances. If the "Incomplete" continues after the month, the student must notify the director of the doctoral program in writing, noting the reason for the delay and proposing a date for completing the work. The "Incomplete" will convert to a grade of F if the student fails to complete the coursework by the revised date.

A student with an "Incomplete" who does not have any grades of B- or lower on their record may register for new courses that do not have the course with the "Incomplete" as a prerequisite. A student with an "Incomplete" and one grade of B- on their record may not register for any new courses until the "Incomplete" has been converted to a grade. If the "Incomplete" becomes a grade of B or higher, the student may then register for new courses. If the "Incomplete" becomes a grade of B- or lower, the student will be dematriculated from the doctoral program. A student with an F in a required course may not register for any additional courses until that course is retaken. The student may continue in the program and register for new courses upon achieving a grade of B or higher after retaking the required course. If the student achieves a grade of B- or lower upon retaking the required course, they will be dematriculated from the program.

Students are expected to maintain at least a B average to remain in good standing in their studies. Students who receive a grade of B- or lower in more than one course will not be considered to be in good academic standing. Students who receive a second grade of B- or lower in any course will be removed from doctoral studies, pending the outcome of any appeal they make to the director of the program, the Doctoral Curriculum and Policy Committee, and/or the dean of the Graduate School of Social Service.

The program director will review the progress of students at the end of academic year. Faculty advisors will be notified if any students are having difficulty in meeting the standards of the program, and will be asked to communicate this to the students so identified.

Attendance Policies

All students are required to be in regular, consistent attendance in courses and in field work. However, sometimes emergencies or illnesses can interfere with attendance. If illness or hospitalization occurs and a student is in a field placement, the field advisor must be notified immediately and will consult with the assistant dean of student services. Excessive absences can jeopardize students' academic standing. Each faculty member must clearly state their attendance expectations on their individual syllabi.

For on-ground courses, if a student is absent from three classes, they will receive a final grade of "F." However, students can avoid this by withdrawing from the course. Withdrawing from a course does not relieve students of their financial responsibility for the course.

Online program students should be aware of the attendance policy for online courses. As the courses run for eight weeks, missing two weeks of a synchronous class will result in an "F" grade. To avoid this, students can withdraw from the course, but they will remain financially responsible for the course. For asynchronous portions of online courses, non-submission of work or inadequate class participation can lead to failing the course. Students anticipating a conflict must communicate with their course instructor and withdraw from the course before the Academic Calendar deadline. Students should review the deadline for course withdrawals before making any requests. Veteran students should also consider consulting with the VA Certifying Officials in Office of Academic Records before withdrawing from a course, as it may impact their benefits.

Religious Holidays

There are a number of religious faiths represented within the Fordham University student body. The policy of the University is to respect all students’ religious beliefs. There will be no penalty for a class absence due to religious holidays. Students are responsible to notify course instructors at the beginning of the semester if they plan to be absent for a religious holiday in order to discuss arrangements to meet the course requirements for assignments for that class.

Course Withdrawal

There are times when you may find it necessary to withdraw from a course. If you wish to withdraw from a course after the add/drop period has ended, you need to contact your academic advisor at your campus and the assistant dean of student services. Withdrawal from courses after the add/drop period will result in a "W" on your transcript. Veteran students should also consider consulting with the VA Certifying Officials in the Office of Academic Records before withdrawing from a course as it may impact their benefits.

University Withdrawal

If you plan to withdraw from the University, contact Associate Dean for Student Services Jeffrey Coyle at Students who withdraw from the University must complete paperwork and speak with the assistant dean of student services. Veteran students should also consider consulting with the VA Certifying Officials in the Office of Academic Records before withdrawing from the University as it may impact their benefits. If a student withdraws from the University and wishes to return, a full reapplication is required, and the student is not guaranteed reentry into the program.

Leave of Absence

If, as a matriculated student, you plan to take a one- or two-semester leave of absence, you should notify your academic advisor and the assistant dean of student services of your intent. The request should be made two weeks prior to the start of the term. Late requests for a leave of absence cannot be accepted.

It is the student's responsibility to complete a leave of absence request form. If the student is a matriculated student who has not attended for more than two semesters and wishes to return to the program, they must reapply through the Office of Admissions. If a formal leave of absence has been granted, it is likely that the reapplication process will consist only of the application, an updated autobiographical statement, current resume, and one current letter of reference. If the student has completely withdrawn from the University and wishes to return, a full reapplication is required, and the student is not guaranteed reentry into the program.

Educational Disruption Due to Medical Leave of Absence

Following Fordham University protocol, students who have taken a leave of absence or have withdrawn from classes for medical or mental health reasons will be required to participate in the reentry process. Initially, the student must speak with the assistant dean of student services at Fordham GSS and complete a medical leave of absence form.

Reentry Process

The process by which students on a medical leave of absence return to studies is managed by Fordham University's dean of students in cooperation with the Graduate School of Social Service and other relevant offices such as Counseling and Psychological Services and/or Student Health Services. The student will be required to present medical documentation verifying readiness to return to the MSW program. Contact the dean of students at Lincoln Center, Jenifer Campbell, Ed.D., at 212-636-6250 or

For additional information on the process for reentry, please refer to this page.

Ph.D. students should consult their program's enrollment policies for additional details on course withdrawals and leaves of absence.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Requirements

Each school of Fordham University has established minimum standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) that students must maintain as they pursue their degree. The University measures SAP annually at the end of the spring semester (May).

To be eligible for federal aid, such as Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans or Graduate PLUS Loans, each student must be making SAP according to the School’s standards. The requirements to be eligible for federal financial aid for the Fordham Graduate School of Social Service:

  • Minimum 3.0 GPA required
  • Must be registered for a minimum of six hours
  • Must successfully complete six hours each term
  • Complete the course of study for a M.S.W. degree within five years
  • Incompletes, withdrawals, and noncredit remedial courses will count against attempted but not earned hours
  • Transfer credits that count toward the student’s current program will count as both attempted and completed hours

Fordham University Graduate School of Social Service does permit appeals when a student loses FSA eligibility because they failed to make satisfactory progress. Contact Associate Dean for Student Services, Jeffrey Coyle at for information on how to complete the SAP form and she will then submit the appeal form.

Communication Skills

Social work students must communicate effectively and sensitively with other students, faculty, staff, clients, and other professionals. They must express their ideas and feelings clearly and demonstrate a willingness and ability to listen to others. They must have sufficient skills in spoken and written English to understand the content presented in the program, and to complete adequately all oral and written assignments. They must write clearly, use correct grammar and spelling, and apply appropriate writing style, including APA referencing, appropriate source citation, and documentation. In addition, social work students must be computer literate.

Interpersonal Skills

Social work students must demonstrate the interpersonal skills needed to relate effectively to other students, faculty, staff, clients, and other professionals. Students must exhibit compassion, integrity, and demonstration of respect for and consideration of others. Students must take appropriate responsibility for their own actions and consider the impact of these actions on others.

Knowledge Base and Skills for Social Work Practice

The professional knowledge necessary for social work students is grounded in empirically-based and relevant knowledge. This includes evidence-based knowledge and skills in relationship building, data gathering, assessment, intervention, and evaluation of practice. Students must exhibit critical thinking in both the classroom and the field. Students must demonstrate that they meet the necessary social work competencies in field settings.

Stress Management

Social work students need to recognize the importance of handling stress within the context of family life, work, social life, and rigorous academic requirements. Social work students are encouraged to implement strategies for appropriate self-care and life/school/work balance so that stress does not interfere with meeting GSS program requirements.

Professional Commitment

Social work students must exhibit commitment to the goals, values, and ethical standards of the social work profession. These encompass individuals’ dignity and worth of all persons and their right to the equity of society’s resources.


The development of self-awareness is an important component of becoming a professional social worker. Social work students must develop the ability to understand their values, beliefs, attitudes, emotions, that affect their thinking, behavior, and relationships. It is vital that students show awareness of self and be willing to examine and change behavior when it interferes with working with clients and/or other professionals.


Social work students must strive to remain objective as they are evaluating clients, their situations, and developing interventions. The use of appropriate professional tools and processes taught in the classroom and field instruction settings assist in identifying and amending individual and institutionalized bias that may arise during the course of professional judgment and decision-making.


Social work students must endeavor to communicate empathy and support to all those with whom they come into contact in field settings as well as in the classroom.

Medical Issues

Social work students must use sound judgment when facing medical and/or emotional problems that compromise scholastic and professional performance. Seeking professional help for personal problems, medical problems, psychosocial distress, substance abuse, or mental health difficulties is critical in order to address the best interests of the student and those to whom the student has professional responsibility.

Ethical Obligations

Social work students must:

  • Practice in accordance with professional codes of ethics for the social work profession
  • Appreciate the value of diversity. Social work students must serve in an appropriate manner all persons in need of assistance, regardless of the person’s age, class, race, ethnicity, religious affiliation (or lack thereof), gender, ability, sexual orientation, and value system. Students must not impose their own personal, religious, sexual and/or cultural values on clients.
  • Respect the rights of others at all times
  • Maintain confidentiality in the classroom, field, and other professional settings
  • Demonstrate honesty and integrity by being truthful about one’s own background, experiences, and qualifications; adhere at all times to University policies on plagiarism
  • Establish clear and appropriate boundaries consistent with University and agency policies. There is never to be sexual harassment of others; making any verbal or physical threats; becoming involved in sexual relationships with clients or supervisors; abusing others in physical, emotional, verbal, or sexual ways; or participating in dual relationships where conflicts of interest may exist.

Professional Behavior

Social work students must exhibit behaviors that are in full compliance with program and institutional policies, professional ethical standards, and societal laws in the classroom, field settings, and the community. Students’ appearance, dress, and general demeanor must reflect a professional manner. Professional behavior requirements include:

  • Possessing the knowledge base and practicing within the scope of professional social work competencies
  • Respecting the rights of others at all times others
  • Being punctual and dependable
  • Prioritizing responsibilities
  • Regularly attending classes and fieldwork
  • Observing deadlines and completing assignments on time
  • Keeping appointments or making appropriate arrangements
  • Accepting supervision and constructive criticism in a positive manner
  • Working effectively with others, regardless of level of authority
  • Being able to advocate for themselves in an appropriate and responsible manner and using proper channels of communication for conflict resolution

Plagiarism and Academic Integrity

University Policies of Academic Integrity

A university, by its nature, strives to foster and recognize originality of thought. Originality can only be recognized, however, when people acknowledge the sources of ideas and works that are not their own. Therefore, students must maintain the highest standards with regard to honesty, effort, and performance. Violations of academic integrity include, but are not limited to, plagiarism, cheating on exams, and false authorship and destruction of library materials needed for a course. This policy gives definitions and instances of violations of academic integrity, the procedures used to arrive at a judgment, possible sanctions, and the processes of appeal. This policy will be rigorously enforced and without discrimination.

Violations of Academic Integrity

Plagiarism occurs when individuals attempt to present as their own what has come from another source. Plagiarism takes place whether such theft is accidental or deliberate. Examples of plagiarism include but are not limited to:

  • Using the ideas of another person, whether or not such ideas are paraphrased, from whatever source including oral, print, broadcast, or computer-mediated communication.
  • Rewriting borrowed material by simply dropping a word here and there, substituting a few words for others, or moving around words or sentences.
  • Presenting borrowed material without placing quotation marks around borrowed material in the approved style. It is no defense to claim that one has "forgotten" to do so.
  • Presenting as one's own an assignment, paper or computer program partially or wholly prepared by another person, whether by another student, friend, or by a business or online service that sells or distributes such papers and programs.

Cheating occurs when individuals share course materials or information when it is unauthorized or prohibited. Examples of cheating include but are not limited to:

  • Having or using unauthorized material at an examination, test, or quiz, or copying another student's assignment or laboratory report
  • Permitting another student to copy an assignment, paper, computer program, project, examination, test, or quiz
  • Obtaining and/or using an examination, test, or quiz prior to its administration
  • Having another person act as proxy and take an examination, test, or quiz

Additional violations of academic integrity include, but are not limited to:

  • Theft, destruction, or tampering with library materials, audio and videotapes, computer hardware or software, or other materials necessary for a course
  • The submission or presentation of a falsified excuse for an absence from a course requirement, examination, test, or quiz
  • The presentation of false identification or credentials in order to gain admission to a course, examination, test, quiz, or degree program
  • Submission of a paper or project to more than one course during the time in which a student is attending Fordham University, without explicit permission from the instructors

Fundamental to academic integrity are the values embraced by the NASW professional code of ethics—honesty and truth. Students of the Fordham University Graduate School of Social Service are expected to adhere to the standards of professional ethics as defined in the NASW Code of Ethics and the Core Performance Standards.

All forms of academic dishonesty and plagiarism represent a violation of the School's Performance Standards. Any student found submitting plagiarized work, or submitting fraudulent or misrepresentative documents as academic assignments or as field documentation, is subject to disciplinary actions, which may include immediate termination from the program.

Ph.D. Students

Because of the diverse definitions of plagiarism, the faculty member, in consultation with the doctoral program director, will make the determination if plagiarism has occurred. If plagiarism occurs, the student will receive an F for the course if it involves course work, an F in the examination if it involves the comprehensive examination, and a rejection of the dissertation if the plagiarism occurs in the dissertation. The director makes a determination if plagiarism occurred and the seriousness of this incident and applies appropriate sanctions such as suspension or expulsion. The student can bring the charge of plagiarism to the Doctoral Curriculum and Policy Committee for final review.

Academic Standing and Discipline

GSS Termination Policy

A student may be terminated from GSS for four reasons:

  1. Failure to maintain a 3.0 grade point average
  2. Failure to meet performance requirements for Field Placement
  3. Violation of Academic Integrity
  4. Violation of University Code of Conduct

Student Review Procedures (M.S.W. Students)

Consultation with Academic Adviser or Field Adviser

If a student has a concern about an academic course or field instruction, the first step is to consult with one's academic or field adviser. If the concern is related to field instruction, after an assessment of the situation with the student and the field instructor, the field adviser would consult with the administrators in the field education department. Depending on the situation, a contract for change may be developed, or in extreme cases, a field instructor or field placement setting might be changed. In non-field academic concerns, the adviser would consult with the assistant dean of student services if a revision of the student's plan of study is indicated. This is often precipitated by a change in a student's health or financial situation.

Field Performance Review Committee

A Field Performance Review meeting is held when a student's difficulties in the field internship are viewed as serious in nature. An review for academic course concerns consists of a meeting with one of the deans (usually the assistant dean of student services), the student, and a faculty member to address the matter. These reviews may lead to a reduced course load, leave of absence from the program, or recommendation for discontinuing the program. These reviews are indicated when a student fails a course, falls below the minimum required cumulative grade point average of 3.0, or there is concern about academic integrity.

When the concerns are related to field instruction, a committee may be convened to determine a remedial plan. The assistant dean of student services chairs and facilitates the Administrative Review Committee meeting. In field-related administrative reviews, the field adviser, field instructor, and an administrator of the field education department participate in the review. Committee members may recommend a new educational agreement, change of field placement, a lengthening of the field placement or withdrawal from field instruction or the School. After the committee deliberates and comes to a decision, the decision will be communicated to the student both verbally and in writing.

Committee on Academic Progress (CAP)

There is an established procedure to determine if a student in academic difficulty in academic course work or field instruction should continue his or her enrollment in the M.S.W. program, and often comes following an Administrative review. A faculty member, administrator from the field education department, or a student can request a Committee on Academic Progress (CAP) in order to review the circumstances and to make a recommendation as to whether de-matriculation is warranted.

The CAP is convened and chaired by the associate dean of academic affairs after receiving a request in writing. The committee has three members, including the associate dean of academic affairs, two faculty members, and a member of the field education department if the CAP is related to field issues. No one participating in the CAP process should have any personal interest in the outcome of the CAP. Possible outcomes of the CAP can be; dismissal from the program, a recommended leave of absence, or extended field placement hours. After the committee deliberates and comes to a decision, the decision will be communicated to the student both verbally and in writing. The student has 10 days to appeal the decision to the dean of GSS.

Failure to maintain a 3.0 Grade Point Average

GSS students, foundation/generalist, and advanced/specialist must maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) to remain in good academic standing. The assistant dean of student services is responsible for monitoring students' academic progress. This is done at the end of each semester by generating reports for students’ cumulative grade point average. When a student’s cumulative GPA falls below a 3.0, these steps are followed:

  1. Student is placed on academic probation. Students are notified of this in writing. The student will be notified that they are given one semester to improve their GPA. This communication will take place by email.
  2. Field adviser meets with the student to develop a plan of correction if it is a field issue. The assistant dean of student services meets with the student if it is an academic issue. The field adviser and/or the assistant dean help(s) the student assess what the learning needs are. Recommendations such as reducing course load or accessing the resources of the University supports, including the Writing Center or Counseling Center, may be indicated.
  3. The student's progress is monitored by the Office of Student Services as well as by the student's field adviser (if it is a field issue).
  4. If student does not have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above in the following term, the student will be notified in writing that they are terminated from the program. The assistant dean for student services informs the student verbally and follows up with a letter regarding dismissal from the program.

Violation of Academic Integrity

Students are expected to uphold academic integrity at all times. The policy on academic integrity is attached to every master syllabus.


  • Plagiarism
  • Cheating
  • Other (e.g., theft, destruction or tampering with library materials, submission or presentation of a falsified excuse for an absence from a course requirement, presentation of false identification or credentials to gain admission to a course, exam, or degree program, submission of a paper or project to more than one course)

Violations of academic integrity that are identified by the professor or other members of GSS are handled in the following manner:

  1. Notification is made to the assistant dean of student services.
  2. The assistant dean of student services meets with the student and the faculty member. The student's overall performance of the program and alleged violation is then reviewed in detail.
  3. If appropriate explanation and resolution is reached in the meeting then a letter summarizing the meeting and the outcome is sent to the student and kept on file.
  4. If no resolution is reached then an administrative review takes place and if further assessment is required then a Committee on Academic Progress is convened. The possible outcomes of the CAP hearings are:
    1. No further action beyond the CAP discussion and proceedings are necessary at that time.
    2. Revision of the Educational Agreement, plan of study, or a new field placement is warranted.
    3. Termination of the student from the program. If the student is terminated, written notification is sent to the student.
    4. The student has ten (10) days to appeal the decision in writing to the dean of GSS.
    5. The dean's decision of the appeal is sent in writing to the student and that decision is final.

All decisions and communications with the student are documented and placed in the student's file.

Initiating a Grievance

If a student believes that they have been treated unfairly as to treatment in the classroom, final course grades, or academic probation, suspension or dismissal, you have the right to seek a formal review.


The student is instructed by the assistant dean of student services to make a complaint to the faculty member or administrator responsible for the treatment regarded as unfair, and to request a formal meeting to discuss the problem. If a satisfactory resolution of the complaint is not reached, the student is then expected to appeal promptly to the chairperson of the curriculum area pertinent to the academic area in written form. If a satisfactory resolution is not reached after conferring with the appropriate chairperson, the student has the option of further appeal to the associate dean of academic affairs. The chairperson, the faculty member and the associate dean of academic affairs have a responsibility to act upon the appeal.

Violation of the University Code of Conduct

As a member of the larger Fordham University community, M.S.W. students must also meet the Code of Conduct standards of Fordham University. If an M.S.W. student from GSS has been found responsible for violating a University rule under the Code of Conduct the University may impose a sanction or combination of sanctions. Violations include, but are not limited to harassment of another person, whether physical, sexual or verbal, either oral or written; physical abuse, sexual abuse, threats, intimidation, coercion, and/or other conduct which threatens or endangers the health or safety of any person; and the unauthorized selling, purchasing, producing, or possession of any lethal weapons, explosives, fireworks, or incendiary device.

When a Code of Conduct violation is alleged, a process begins with the Fordham University dean of students, and the Graduate School of Social Service. The following steps are taken by the University dean of students:

  1. There is a preliminary investigation to determine whether the situation can be handled informally by mutual consent without the initiation of a formal hearing.
  2. When a hearing is indicated the process is a follows:
    1. The student accused is notified in writing by the dean of students and shall have the opportunity for a hearing to discuss the violation(s).
    2. The hearing is a meeting with the dean of students or designee and the student who will present his or her full and final version of the facts.
  3. An accused student shall be free from student conduct sanctions pending conclusion of the hearing unless the dean of students determines there is a risk to the student or the University community.
  4. When a student has been found responsible for violating a rule under the University Code of Conduct, the sanction imposed can range from disciplinary reprimand, suspension from the University, to expulsion from the University. The dean of students informs the student of the sanction verbally and in writing.
  5. The assistant dean of student students works closely with the University dean of students in such incidents.

Non-Academic Grievances

Social work students are encouraged to inform the assistant dean of student services if such incidents occur. The assistant dean will facilitate your communication with Fordham University Dean of Students Dr. Jenifer Campbell. Complaints of discrimination or harassment by students against other students should be brought to the Assistant Dean of Student Services, Jeff Coyle, at

Appeals and Grievances (Ph.D. Students)


If a student believes they have been aggrieved by a program practice or policy or by an action of a faculty member or staff member, they should:

  1. Present their complaint in writing to the director of the Ph.D. in social work program.
  2. At the director's discretion, they will attempt to resolve or bring it before the faculty members of the Doctoral Curriculum and Policy Committee.
  3. If the student disagrees with the decision of the Doctoral Curriculum and Policy Committee, the student may bring the grievance to the dean of the Graduate School of Social Service. The dean's decision is final.

General Procedures

All grievances must be clear and succinct. They must include:

  • A statement specifying the specific action that is being grieved
  • The grounds for the grievance
  • The requested action or relief that the student is seeking
  • All grievances must be made in writing. All decisions will be reported to the student in writing. Copies of the student's grievance and the decisions will be placed in the student's academic file.

Grade Appeals

Grades may be appealed when a student believes that a faculty member has used unfair or capricious practices to arrive at a grading decision or has miscalculated a grade.

  • The student should appeal the grading decision first with the faculty member.
  • If the student disagrees with the results of the meeting with the faculty member, the student may appeal the decision to the director of the Ph.D. in social work program. The appeal must be made in writing.
  • If the student disagrees with the director's decision, the student appeal the decision to the faculty members of the Doctoral Curriculum and Policy Committee.
  • If the student disagrees with the decision of the Doctoral Curriculum and Policy Committee, the student may appeal the decision to the dean of the Graduate School of Social Service. The dean's decision is final.

Grade Appeal Procedure

All appeals must be clear and succinct. They must include:

  • A statement specifying the specific action that is being grieved
  • The grounds for the grievance
  • The requested action or relief that the student is seeking

All appeals must be made in writing. All decisions will be reported to the student in writing. Copies of the student's appeals and the decisions will be placed in the student's academic file.

Comprehensive Examination Result Appeals

A student must appeal any grading decisions related to the Comprehensive Examinations in writing directly to the director of the Ph.D. in social work program, who will present the appeal to the faculty members of the Doctoral Curriculum and Policy Committee.

If the student disagrees with the decision of the Doctoral Curriculum and Policy Committee, the student may appeal the decision to the dean of the Graduate School of Social Service. The dean’s decision is final.

All appeals must be clear and succinct. They must include:

  • A statement specifying the specific action that is being grieved
  • The grounds for the grievance
  • The requested action or relief that the student is seeking

All appeals must be made in writing. All decisions will be reported to the student in writing. Copies of the student's appeals and the decisions will be placed in the student's academic file.

Other Appeals

  • Students should present appeals related to any other program matter in writing directly to the director of the Ph.D. in social work program.
  • If they disagree with the director's decision, they may appeal the decision to the faculty members of the Doctoral Curriculum and Policy Committee.
  • If the student disagrees with the decision of the Doctoral Curriculum and Policy Committee, the student may appeal the decision to the dean of the Graduate School of Social Service. The dean's decision is final.

All appeals must be clear and succinct. They must include:

  • A statement specifying the specific action that is being grieved
  • The grounds for the grievance
  • The requested action or relief that the student is seeking

All appeals must be made in writing. All decisions will be reported to the student in writing. Copies of the student's appeals and the decisions will be placed in the student's academic file.

Timeframes for Filing Appeals and Grievances

  1. All grievances and appeals must be filed in writing within thirty (30) academic calendar days of the aggrieved action. Appeals of grades must be filed within thirty (30) academic calendar days of a grade's posting.
  2. All appeals of the faculty's decisions must be filed within thirty (30) academic calendar days of the date on which the letter outlining the decision was posted.
  3. The dean and doctoral program director must respond to a student's appeal or grievance within thirty (30) academic calendar days of their receipt of the grievance or appeal.
  4. The Doctoral Curriculum and Policy Committee must respond to an appeal or grievance at its next scheduled meeting. Appeals and grievances to the Committee must be received by the doctoral program director at least five working days before the Committee's next scheduled meeting to be eligible for consideration at that meeting.


All new incoming students will receive an academic advising/registration phone call from the Student Services department during which they will discuss their plan of study and register for classes for their first semester. Registered students are emailed registration information for summer and fall semesters in March. Spring registration information is emailed in November. It is important that students follow their plan of study when registering. It is highly recommended that students meet with an academic advisor prior to registering each semester. The student's academic advisor or student success advisor and the administrators at each campus are always available to answer questions.

Maintenance of Matriculation (M.S.W. students)

To maintain their status as active students pursuing a M.S.W., students must be enrolled in coursework and/or fieldwork for every consecutive semester until graduation. If they are not enrolled in coursework and/or fieldwork, and are not taking an approved leave of absence, they are not considered active students and will be stopped out from the program during the first semester that they did not enroll or take an official leave. If such an action occurs, students must reapply for admission to resume studies. Readmission is not guaranteed. Readmitted students may be required to repeat coursework or take additional coursework to complete degree requirements.

Students who are in their final semester and do not complete coursework and or field work by the deadline will be administratively enrolled in SWGS 0766 Maint Matric - No Mentor for every semester that course work or field work requirements remain outstanding. A fee will be applied for this registration.

M.S.W. Students in Doctoral Courses

M.S.W. students who wish to take a doctoral level course must first get written approval from the dean of students, who will discuss the request with the director of the Ph.D. program. Once written approval is granted at the M.S.W. level, students must receive written approval from the director of the doctoral program and the faculty member teaching the doctoral course. Without written approval at each level, M.S.W. students may not take doctoral level courses. M.S.W. students enrolled in doctoral level courses will be expected to maintain the same standards of performance as the doctoral students in the courses.

Immunization Requirements

New York state law (#2165) requires that all matriculated students born on or after January 1, 1957, be immunized against measles, mumps, and rubella. Proof of immunizations must be on file at the University Health Center. Graduate students must also sign a meningitis waiver form. Noncompliance results in fines and inability to register for classes. Students may be immunized at the University Student Health Center at Rose Hill for a nominal fee. Call 718-817-4160 at the Rose Hill Campus for further information. There is also a health center at Lincoln Center, on the second floor of the Residence Hall. Call 212-636-7160 for further information. Students who attended undergraduate school in New York state should request that their college send the proof of immunization to Fordham's Health Center.

Billing & Refund

All your tuition- and billing-related information can be found though the portal. For more information, please visit this page.

Financial Aid

Financial aid information is online. Please refer back to it for a description of the Federal Family Education Loan, New York State TAP, and Tuition Remission from the Graduate School of Social Service. Some points to remember:

  • The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) must be done annually. This is the needs assessment used to determine which loan you are eligible to receive. You must include information you put on your income tax report—an incentive to do your taxes early!
  • The application for tuition remission is due March 31. The application is only the first step—a decision cannot be made about an award until the FAFSA results are in. Use the internet to complete loan applications.

Please note that a full-time student takes at least 12 credits per semester. However, students registered for field instruction and taking 10.5 credits in the fall and 10.5 credits in the spring are also considered full-time. If you are in the latter category, you will automatically be certified as full-time on the University's system for financial aid. You may obtain a detailed information sheet entitled "Instructions for Application for Financial Aid" from the Admissions Office, 212-636-6600, 113 West 60th Street, 6th floor at Lincoln Center, at the Enrollment Services Office on the 2nd floor at Lincoln Center, or in Room 144 at the Westchester Campus.

Ph.D. Student Financial Aid

The Ph.D. program directly controls and administers financial aid from four sources:

  1. Each year, the dean allocates to the program tuition remission grants that can be used to support student's progress in the program.
  2. Each year, the dean provides the doctoral program with money to provide stipends to students in varying amounts depending on their need and their requests for assistance.
  3. Periodically, alumni and other sources donate additional funds.
  4. The doctoral program is endowed with fellowship supported by funds provided by Professor Emeritus Lloyd Rogler. This pre-dissertation fellowship is available to students who plan to conduct dissertation research on Latino/Hispanic-related themes.

With the exception of the Rogler Doctoral Fellowships, financial aid is provided on an annual basis. Students must apply for assistance each year they wish to receive it.

Continued receipt of financial aid is contingent upon satisfactory progress in course work and satisfactorily meeting any expectations associated with the financial aid (e.g., fulfilling any research assistance expectations associated with receipt of the aid).

In addition to the financial aid controlled by the Ph.D. program, students receive financial aid from external sources like the Council on Social Work Education's Minority Fellowship Program, the Fahs-Beck Foundation, and faculty grants with ear-marked monies for doctoral students to fill roles like project manager, data collection, data analysis, etc. In many cases, when students receive funds from external sources, the Ph.D. program provides complementary, in-kind assistance.

Disbursing Financial Aid

Continuing Students

Each year in during the spring term, the director of the doctoral program sends an email to all matriculated students asking them to submit requests for financial aid. Students are notified about financial aid decisions in June.

Incoming Students

New students are asked to submit requests for financial aid when they are notified of acceptance into doctoral studies. Their requests consist of one-page narratives that follow a format similar to the protocol followed by continuing students. As with continuing students, new students are notified about financial aid decisions in June.

Types of Assistance

Research and Teaching Assistantships

Fordham University provides funds each year for faculty assistantships in the Graduate School of Social Service. These assistantships permit students to assist individual faculty members with specific research activities and/or teaching. Students should apply to the director of the doctoral program in the spring semester. Students granted assistantships are provided tuition remission for at least one doctoral course per semester.


Each year, the doctoral program receives a small number of fellowships, which may provide for full tuition as well as cash awards. Students should be able to devote two days a week to research on school projects. Interested students should apply to the director of the doctoral program.

Student Identification Cards

Everyone in the Fordham University community is required to have an ID card while on campus. New students are instructed on how to obtain an ID in their admissions information. Continuing students use the ID card that was issued to them when they began the program. Molloy ID cards are also required for all students attending classes on Molloy's campus. There is a charge for lost identification cards.

Fordham ID Number

Your FIDN is a random 9-digit number assigned to you at the time you enter the University system. Matriculated students will receive notification of their FIDN when they are accepted into the program. Non-matriculated students will receive their FIDN after they register. After students set up their account, they can find their FIDN listed on the first page of the account. It is important to remember your FIDN number, as it is how you will go through many of the Fordham systems. It is also important to have your FIDN available when communicating with any of the administrative or financial aid offices.

Address Change

Students whose permanent or local addresses change should update their information on and Student E-Mail

Your account is your portal to information about Fordham. Upon acceptance, you will be directed on how to create your account. From there, you have access to your registration, classroom assignments, personal information, and financial information. It is also your access to your Fordham email account, Blackboard, Brightspace, Degree Works, and Tk20.

It is very important to check your Fordham email on a regular basis or set it up to be forwarded to your personal email. University offices will only send information to your Fordham account.

Transcript of Record

An official transcript is one bearing the seal of the University and the signature of the University Registrar.

Official academic transcripts may be issued to educational institutions, employers, scholarship/grant/fellowship organizations, application services, government agencies, etc., or to students (for personal use). Students may view their unofficial transcript online by using their credentials on Official transcripts cannot be faxed to recipients.

Students and alumni who request an official transcript for personal use may not forward it to another party; doing so renders the transcript unofficial. Transcripts should always be issued to the intended final recipient.

The University offers online ordering for secure electronic transcripts as well as for mailed (paper) transcripts. Full details are available from the Office of Academic Records.

Students may request an unofficial transcript listing courses and credits marked "Unofficial." The University accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of an unofficial transcript after it has been issued.

Transcripts may be requested from the University via the National Student Clearinghouse. They should be requested well in advance of the date desired. No transcripts will be issued for students who have account holds that prevent transcript release. In compliance with New York State law, the University does not withhold transcripts for unpaid financial obligations. Fees apply for specialized transcript mailing services (i.e. certified mail, international mail, express mail). These fees and services are subject to change at any time.

The Office of Academic Records may use its discretion to limit the number of transcripts requested at any one time.

Students who attended (completed any of their coursework) at the University prior to 1990, or at Marymount College prior to Fall 2002, must use this Transcript Request Form and submit it to the Office of Academic Records. Such transcripts cannot be delivered electronically, and can only be delivered via mail (regular or express).

Fordham University will make every effort to promptly fill all requests for transcripts but will not assume responsibility for delays. All inquiries concerning issuance of transcripts must be made to the Office of Academic Records.

Summer Session

On campus students are limited to a maximum of two courses during summer session.

Graduation Application

M.S.W. students must submit a Graduation Application through the Fordham portal in the final semester of their studies.

Due dates for Graduation Applications are on the academic calendar. Filing the candidate-for-degree request begins the formal process for approval of your graduation and ordering your diploma.

Completion of a Graduation Application is required even if you do not intend to participate in the graduation ceremony. After your application is submitted, your transcript will be reviewed carefully. Students will be contacted only if they have not met all the requirements for graduation.

It is important that students know the M.S.W. degree requirements. It is equally important that students follow their plan of study and regularly check Degree Works to see if all course and field requirements have been met. Students are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor prior to registering for classes each semester. 

Graduation Ceremony

The Commencement ceremony for January, May, and August graduates is held in May. If you plan to participate in the graduation ceremony, you must order a cap and gown.

In late February, M.S.W. students will receive emails (to their Fordham email address) regarding cap and gown orders as well as information on ordering online tickets for the graduation ceremony.

You are an August M.S.W. graduate if you are completing degree requirements in the summer semester. August graduates are encouraged to participate in the commencement ceremony in May. August graduates receive their diplomas in November. Please note: your application for graduation must reflect the August date.

Speakers and Awards

There are a number of awards for graduating students. Detailed information is given by email in late March. Students who believe they are deserving of an award should ask a faculty member or their field adviser to nominate them.

Each year, there is one student speaker at the graduation ceremony. Student speakers are selected on the basis of merit. Students may submit the names of possible candidates, along with a brief paragraph about the strengths of the student, to the assistant dean of student services. Students have the prerogative to nominate themselves.

Ph.D. Student Graduation

In order to participate in both the University and School graduations in May, the student must have satisfactorily defended the dissertation by May 1 and a copy of the approved dissertation must be in the doctoral office.

Students who anticipate they may be graduating will be asked to file for graduation by February 1, order a cap and gown by March 30, and may receive graduation tickets in late April. Completing these activities does not imply that the student will graduate.

Students will only be permitted to participate in May graduations if they have satisfactorily defended their dissertation and submitted a copy to the doctoral office by May 1, and if the doctoral director, after a review of their academic record, attests that they have fulfilled all requirements for the Ph.D. degree.

Affirmative Action Policy 

The University continues its commitment to affirmative action by providing the means to recruit, employ, and promote women and other underrepresented minorities in the interest of attaining workplace diversity. The Office of Human Resources Management is available to all employees of Fordham University for consultation, training, and development of those methods and initiatives that advance a more diversified workforce, and ensure nondiscrimination, access to equal employment opportunities, and fair treatment of individuals. It is the responsibility of the Vice President of Human Resources to monitor and report regularly on the University’s efforts to achieve diversity and compliance with all laws pertaining to nondiscrimination in employment.

Campus Safety

The Advisory Committee on Campus Security will provide upon request all campus crime statistics as reported to the U.S. Department of Education. The U.S. Department of Education Website is Fordham University provides campus crime statistics on its website. Requests for a hard copy can be directed to the University Associate Vice President for Public Safety by phone at 718-817-2222 or in writing at

Associate Vice President
Public Safety
Thebaud Annex
Fordham University
441 East Fordham Rd.
Bronx, NY 10458

For more information

Visit the Public Safety web page.

Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act

In accordance with the "Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act," information regarding the intercollegiate athletics program is available for review at the following website:

Nondiscrimination and Title IX Coordinator

Fordham University is committed to maintaining a community in which its members live, work, and learn in a safe and respectful environment that is free from all forms of sex- and gender-based discrimination. This commitment applies to all members of the Fordham community regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, ability, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction, or any other protected class recognized under federal, state, or local law.

The University's Director of Gender Equity/Title IX Coordinator oversees the University's gender equity and Title IX compliance efforts and is responsible for coordinating the University's response to all reports of sexual and related misconduct, including sex- or gender-based discrimination involving educational programs, gender equity in athletic programs, employment, and admission. The Director of Gender Equity/Title IX Coordinator also collects data from all University reports of sex- and gender-based discrimination to identify and address any patterns or systemic issues that may arise, and collects data to analyze the outcome of reports involving sex- and gender-based discrimination. Fordham will take prompt and effective steps to end sexual and related misconduct, eliminate the hostile environment, prevent its recurrence, and remedy its effects.

Inquiries concerning the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or the application of the gender equity provisions contained in the Sexual and Related Misconduct Policy and Procedures for the Fordham University Community may be referred to the University's Vice President for Human Resources and Interim Title IX Coordinator, Kay Turner, Esq., by email at or by dialing 718-817-4930.

The Office of Human Resources Management oversees the University's enforcement of anti-discrimination and anti-harassment in employment (Title VII, New York State Human Rights Law, and New York City and Westchester Human Rights Laws) and non-gender based anti-discrimination and anti-discriminatory harassment of students (Title VI). Inquiries concerning these issues may be referred to the Office of Human Resources Management at or by dialing 718-817-4930.

Recruitment of Jesuits to the Faculty

As a Jesuit, Catholic institution, Fordham University aims to create a community that is ever more diverse, committed, and deeply engaged in New York City and beyond. Grounded in the Jesuit tradition, we seek new ways to live out our mission in contexts very different from that in which Fordham was founded. Moreover, the Society of Jesus, the religious community that has helped sustain Fordham since 1846, itself shares in this attempt to respond to our times with creativity, confidence, and integrity.

Fordham University has been indebted to the presence and work of so many Jesuits throughout its history, and yet it has thrived, especially in the past 50 years, on account of a great variety of colleagues of diverse intellectual, philosophical, cultural, and religious commitments. We hope that all members of the Fordham faculty will find in our Jesuit, Catholic tradition opportunities for joyful and meaningful work.

We do not expect to return to a time when a large part of Fordham’s workforce consisted of members of the Society of Jesus. And yet we recognize that excellent Jesuit colleagues, while few, continue to search not only for employment as teachers and scholars but also for a way specifically to contribute to the mission and identity of places like Fordham. Some have, in fact, been our own students, yet many more come from more national or international contexts than ever before. We continue to seek out those interested in being fine colleagues, teachers, scholars, administrators, pastors, and citizens of the University.

At any point, the number of Jesuits finishing terminal degrees or otherwise prepared to enter an academic position at Fordham is not large. Yet those who are so prepared stand to make an important contribution to our shared purpose and to give unique witness to the kind of educational values Fordham has long embraced.

For this reason, the recruitment and hiring of highly qualified Jesuits is considered an institutional priority. In an effort to clarify and make more transparent processes by which that can be done, a protocol has been established as identifying basic “rules of engagement” for those entities at the University that may wish to recruit a Jesuit for a position. This document applies only to Jesuits considered for full-time academic positions, either tenure-line or non-tenure-line.

The protocol document is available from the Office of the Provost and the Dean of Arts and Sciences

Reserved Rights

The University reserves the right, at its discretion, at any time, to deny matriculated status, to cancel a student’s registration, to refuse to award academic credits, or to deny or rescind a certificate or a degree in accordance with the University Statutes and its academic policies. All forms of dishonesty, including cheating and plagiarism, will result in appropriate disciplinary action, including denial or revocation of a degree or certificate.

Student Records

Notification of Rights Under FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords enrolled students certain rights with respect to their education records. A student is considered enrolled at Fordham University as of the first day of classes of the earliest term of the academic year in which the student is registered.

First time applicants to the University are not considered enrolled students until they are officially registered and attend the first day of classes. Requests for inspection of student records under FERPA cannot be considered until an individual is an enrolled student.

These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review your education records within 45 days of the day Fordham University receives a written request for access. If you want to review your record, you should submit a request to the Office of Academic Records. Indicate the record(s) you wish to inspect. A University official will make arrangements for access and notify you of the time and place where the records may be inspected.

  2. The right to request an amendment of your education record if you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. If you feel there is an error in your record, you should submit a statement to the University Registrar clearly identifying the part of the record you want changed, and why you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. A University official will notify you of their decision and advise you regarding appropriate steps if you do not agree with the decision.

  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in your education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with “legitimate educational interests.” A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official has a “need to know” of information from your education record in order to fulfill his or her official responsibilities. 

    1. Examples of people who may have access, depending on their official duties, and only within the context of those duties, include: Staff employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, collection agent, contractor, consultant, volunteer, or technology provider), or other outside parties under the direct control of the University with respect to the use and maintenance of education records; a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student employed by the University or serving on an official committee, such as on a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Fordham University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: 

Student Privacy Policy Office (SPPO)
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-5920
Phone: 1-800-USA-LEARN (1-800-872-5327)

FERPA also protects course recordings, as outlined in the Class Recording Notice and Related Policy.

A copy of the Act, more details about your rights, and any University policies related to the Act are available from the Office of Academic Records at this page.

Questions concerning FERPA should be referred to the Office of Academic Records or the Office of Legal Counsel.

Directory Information 

Release of student record information is generally not done at Fordham University without the expressed, written consent of the student. There are, however, some exceptions.

For example, Fordham University, at its discretion, may release the following Directory Information without the student's consent: student's name, address, telephone number, electronic mail address, photograph, date and place of birth, major field of study, dates of attendance, grade level, enrollment status (e.g. undergraduate or graduate; full-time or part-time), participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, degrees, honors and awards received (e.g., Dean's List recognition), and the most recent educational agency or institution attended, and other such similar information. 

Please note that you have the right to withhold the release of directory information. To do so, you must complete the Educational Record Sharing (FERPA) Block form, also available on the "Students" page under "Electronic Forms." Please note two important details regarding placing a "No Release" (FERPA Block) on your record:

  • Fordham University receives many inquiries for directory information from a variety of sources outside the institution, including friends, parents, relatives, prospective employers, scholarship programs, the news media and honor societies. Having a "No Release" on your records will preclude release (block the sharing) of such information, even to those people.

  • A "No Release" applies to all elements of directory information on your record. Fordham University does not apply a "No Release" differently to the various directory information data elements.

Support Services for Students with Disabilities

The Office of Disability Services (ODS) works closely with students, faculty, and University administrators to ensure appropriate services for students with documented disabilities in accordance with Section 504 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title III of the Americans and Disabilities Act of 1990. Students who register with ODS will complete the same coursework as their peers, and registering does not become a part of a student's transcript. The University will make every attempt to provide reasonable accommodations to students who have a documented disability.

Please visit our webpage for new students. There, you will find the application, documentation upload instructions, and how to schedule your intake. If you have further questions, you can contact ODS by calling either our Rose Hill office (718-817-4362) or Lincoln Center office (212-636-6282). Both offices are open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please note that a student is not eligible to receive any academic accommodations until formally registered via a completed intake appointment. Accommodations are not made retroactively, so it is best to contact ODS to begin this process the summer before entering Fordham. If a new, incoming student has one of the following types of disabilities: physical mobility, visual impairment, or a hearing impairment, it is essential to contact ODS by July 2 in order to ensure that accommodations can be put in place before classes begin in September. Please do not send documentation of a disability to the admissions office. Any information regarding a student's 504 Plan or IEP must be sent directly to ODS.

Students seeking a substitution for the foreign language core through the Office of Disability Services must complete the process by the end of their first semester at Fordham. Applying for the substitution does not guarantee you will be approved for this accommodation as this accommodation is the only one that changes degree requirements and therefore eligibility is jointly determined by ODS and the dean's office.

Applicants who have been accepted for admission, or current students who are seeking accommodation(s) for a disability, should contact the Office of Disability Services at the following locations:

Lincoln Center Campus
Lowenstein Room 408

Rose Hill Campus
O'Hare Hall, Lower Level

Westchester or online graduate students should contact the Rose Hill office at 718-817-0655.

For more information

Visit the Disability Services web pages.

University Code of Conduct 

Rationale for University Discipline

The reasonableness of university discipline must be judged in its relation to the educational purposes of the university. If those purposes may be described as the pursuit of truth and the advancement of knowledge, university discipline exists to assure a setting wherein those purposes may be achieved.

The educational purposes of the university can best be protected through the clear communication and enforcement of certain standards of behavior judged essential to the achievement of those purposes. What follows is a statement of these standards of behavior developed through the cooperative efforts of the students, faculty, and administrative officers.


Persons: This Code shall apply to every member of the Fordham University community which includes faculty, students, administrative officials, and staff.

When any individual accused of violation of this University Code of Conduct maintains more than one of the above-mentioned statuses in the University, determination of his/her status in a particular situation will be made in the context of the surrounding facts.


The following actions are considered violations of the University Code of Conduct and are punishable by sanctions imposed in accordance with the published judicial procedures of the University:

  1. All forms of dishonesty including cheating, plagiarism, supplying false information to any University official, as well as forgery or use of University documents or instruments of identification with intent to defraud.
  2. Theft from or damage to University property and/or theft of, or damage to the property of another while located on property of the University. Knowingly receiving, retaining or disposing of the lost or mislaid property of a member of the University community or of the University itself.
  3. Unauthorized entry, use or occupation of University facilities as well as the unauthorized possession, duplication or use of keys to University facilities.
  4. Tampering with or misusing fire alarms, fire-fighting equipment or safety equipment.
  5. Harassment (verbal or other) or physical abuse, threatening or attempting to inflict physical injury, or creating substantial risk of such injury to another member of the Fordham University community or to any person on University premises.
  6. The unauthorized selling, purchasing, producing, or possessing of any lethal weapons, explosives, fireworks, or incendiary devices.
  7. The unauthorized selling, purchasing, producing, possession or use of barbiturates, amphetamines, marijuana, hallucinogens, opiates, or other addictive and illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia.
  8. Engaging in, or inciting others to engage in, conduct which interferes with or disrupts any University function, or which prevents or limits the free expression of ideas by others, or which physically obstructs or threatens to obstruct or restrain other members of the University community or visitors.
  9. Failing to surrender upon request by clearly identified University personnel (this includes campus security guards) in the performance of their assigned duties, the University identification card which all members of the University community are required to carry.
  10. Engaging in lewd, licentious or disorderly conduct.
  11. Failing to comply with the direction of clearly identified University personnel (this includes campus security guards) in the performance of their assigned duties.
  12. Violation of published University regulations including but not limited to those regarding motor vehicles, residence halls, and the McGinley Center.

For more information

Visit the University Code of Conduct page.

Veteran Information

Veterans enrolled at Fordham University utilizing education benefits programs—such as Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty, Montgomery GI Bill®–Selected Reserve, and the Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)—must present their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and DD214 to the Office of Academic Records at the time of registration or as soon as possible thereafter. Those utilizing the Veteran Readiness and Employment Chapter 31 benefit should ensure that their counselor has authorized them for the semester and should inform the Fordham school certifying officials. Please refer to the VA website,, for eligibility criteria as well as type of education or training benefits available under each program. The VA can also be reached at 888 442-4551. Veterans who do not have such a letter (COE) must follow the same procedure for payment of tuition as all other students. Specific tuition questions should be directed to the Financial Aid office of your home school.

All students​ using a VA education benefit will need to complete an Enrollment Certification Request for Veteran Benefits form​. It is located on the student portal under Electronic Forms. ​It is to be submitted after registration is complete for the term. If you do not submit it, we will not know to certify you with the VA. For access to the form, please refer to:

For information on Fordham University’s participation in the Post 9/11 GI Bill® Yellow Ribbon Program, please refer to:

For a detailed list of University resources, consult the Student Life webpage.


All programs use various learning management systems (LMS) to support your course work. To access any of the learning management systems, you will need to log in to the portal, go to the apps tab, and select the icon of the system appropriate for your program.


Blackboard is a web-based teaching tool that many professors use. When you click on Blackboard from your account, you will see what courses you are enrolled in. If a course is not listed, it may because the professor may not be using Blackboard at the current time. If you drop a course, it can sometimes still appear on your list of classes. It will eventually disappear.


Tevera is a comprehensive data management system for all aspects of Field.  

Media Centers

All classrooms are SMART classrooms and there is also the capacity to video-teleconference at both campuses. Media Services at Lincoln Center is in room 418, 212-636-6313, and Media Services at Westchester is located in room 219.

Computer Centers

Computers are available on campus if you don’t have a computer at home or need to do work on a computer while at school. All Fordham University students are charged a technology fee each semester. This fee gives you access to the computer labs on campus and also access to the University’s system from your computer at home or work. You can access the library and the internet and can contact faculty, administration, and other students through email. A Student Technology Reference Guide is emailed to registered students in the summer or can be obtained from the computer centers at school.

At Lincoln Center there is a computer center located inside of Quinn Library on the street level. At Westchester, the computer labs are rooms 217 and 220. The Library Resource Center also has computer stations. All Fordham/Molloy students will need a Molloy College ID and will have access to Molloy College resources (library, computer labs, writing center, etc.).

Technical Support

If you should need help with technology, you can contact IT Customer Care at or 718-817-3999.

Additional Digital Resources


Kanopy is a multimedia database that is provided by the Fordham University Library. Any student, faculty, or staff member that is on campus can connect automatically. Those who are off-site will need to authenticate their AccessIT ID credentials before using the database. 

Kanopy Option I: Access through Library Services

  • Go to:
    • Click on Databases
    • Type in "Kanopy" or search A-Z and click on "K"
    • Follow the link to Kanopy and authenticate your access IT/ID username and password
    • Link brings you directly to Kanopy

Kanopy Option II: Create account on Kanopy and validate through Fordham email

  • Go to:
    • Create new account—enter name, Fordham email, and password (password does not have to be the AccessIT ID password but just a password to access this system)
    • A link will be sent to your Fordham email in order to activate your account
    • Follow the validation link to complete account creation process

Lynda, a LinkedIn Company, is an online educational site that includes over 5,700 courses (and over 180,000 videos) in popular fields like web design, web development, IT, education/instruction, media production, and business. Experts create and deliver all courses as well as provide supplemental materials like exercise files and relevant work samples. Users will need to create accounts in order to track course progress, create playlists of potential coursework, and keep course notes.

You may access the Lynda database for free through the New York Public Library system. If you live in the Metro New York area, you may obtain a New York Public Library card and access Lynda through the NYPL website (log in here). 

If you do not live in the immediate New York metropolitan area, you may want to consider checking with your local library system and inquire if access to the Lynda database is offered.

The Graduate School of Social Service is a member of the Fordham academic community. Members of the community—administrators, faculty, and students—have a right to participate in the decision-making that informs the creation of policies affecting their community. Student involvement in the development of the school’s policies and in its administration is an essential aspect of the educational process.  Please reach out to the assistant dean of student services or the associate academic dean if you are interested in participating.