GSE Policies and Procedures

All students accepted into a program of study in the Graduate School of Education are assigned a faculty adviser. The adviser provides information and counsel on matters related to programs and Graduate School of Education policies and procedures. Students, however, are responsible for being cognizant of and meeting all requirements, including appropriate deadlines and administrative procedures, for the completion of their degrees.

All academic programs are designed in keeping the standards articulated in the Conceptual Framework of the Graduate School of Education and are aligned with professional and state standards. 


Academic Discipline

Students are expected to maintain the highest standards with regard to honesty, effort, and performance. Discipline will be enforced if a student violates the University’s Code of Conduct or the academic policies of the Graduate School of Education. Please refer to the dean for the policies and procedures regarding the academic code of conduct and disciplinary process.

Reserved Rights of the University

The University reserves the right, at its discretion, at any time, to deny matriculated status, to cancel a student’s registration, to refuse to award academic credits, or to deny or rescind a certificate or a degree in accordance with the University Statutes. All forms of dishonesty, including cheating and plagiarism, will result in appropriate disciplinary action, including denial or revocation of a degree or certificate.

Maintenance of Matriculation

In order to maintain matriculated status, students must be continuously registered for all semesters (excluding summer) from the semester they begin their programs until they graduate. To maintain matriculation, students must be registered for one of the following: coursework, dissertation seminar, dissertation mentoring, doctoral residency, or EDGE 0666 MAINTENANCE OF MATRICULATION (for master’s level) or EDGE 9995 DOCTORAL MAINTENANCE OF MATRICULATION (for doctoral level). Students must register for EDGE 0666 MAINTENANCE OF MATRICULATION for the semester in which they take comprehensive examinations, if they are not registering for other coursework during that semester.

Students unable to maintain matriculation may apply for a short-term leave of absence. Anyone who fails to register for two consecutive semesters without having obtained a leave of absence will automatically lose matriculated status and must make written application to the director of admissions for readmission. During the readmission review, the student’s records will be evaluated in terms of admission and program requirements then in effect. As a result, additional coursework may be required. This readmission review will be conducted by the faculty and chairperson of the division in which the student was matriculated. The results of the review will be forwarded to the director of enrollment services.

Dissertation Format Review

After completing the dissertation seminar, and upon the successful oral defense of the dissertation, doctoral students must submit their dissertations for format review to assure that the dissertation document meets all the formatting and stylistic requirements of the Graduate School of Education and is ready for publication. Upon submission, doctoral students will be registered for EDGE 0999 DISSERTATION FORMAT REVIEW.

Registration Processes

Advising and online registration for all students takes place in October and November for spring semester, in April for summer, and in May for fall semesters. Consult academic calendars for exact dates of advising and registration periods each semester. The advising period enables students to meet with their advisers regarding course selection and academic progress. New and nonmatriculated students should register during the registration period (see academic calendar) after meeting with or speaking to an adviser for course selection guidance and approval. Tuition bills are mailed approximately one month before the start of the semester, and payment is due before classes begin.

Walk-in and online registration are also available at the start of each semester for new and nonmatriculated students. Continuing students who need to register past deadlines will be assessed a $250 late fee; their courses must be added by advisers and approved by the associate dean for academic affairs. Registration materials and instructions are sent to all continuing and newly admitted students. Validation by the bursar and registrar is required before the registration is finalized.

Adding or Dropping Courses

Once a student has registered for a course or courses, changes in registration (adding or dropping a course or changing sections) can be made through our online registration system before or during the first week of classes.

An add/drop form is required to make changes to registration after the first week of classes (see academic calendar for exact dates). Add/drop forms are available from divisional offices and enrollment services. To add a course, a student must complete the add/drop form and have a faculty adviser or division chairperson verify that the course is both open and appropriate for the program of study, and then sign the form. The add/drop form is sent for approval to the deans’ office for consideration, and then if approved, on to enrollment services for processing. Notifying Fordham by phone, mail, or speaking in person with a faculty member or any other University personnel is not sufficient.

To drop a course outside of the add/drop window, a student must complete the add/drop form and receive faculty and division chairperson approval, and then the form is forwarded for signature and approval from the dean’s office and, if approved, forwarded to enrollment services for processing. Notifying Fordham by phone, mail, of speaking in person with a faculty member or any other University personnel is not sufficient. Under most circumstances, the course will remain on the student’s transcript with a W and tuition charges will apply.

Tuition charges will be adjusted only up to the sixth week of class; after that, full tuition will be charged for dropped courses (see section on Tuition and Fees for prorated schedule of refunds).

Grade Point Average

Students in master’s and most advanced programs must maintain a B (3.0) grade point average (GPA) or higher to continue in their programs and to graduate, unless otherwise specified. For students in EdD and PhD programs, a B+ (3.5) GPA or higher is required. Students’ academic records are reviewed throughout their programs. If a student’s GPA falls below the requirement, the School may require additional, alternative, or remedial coursework, or other measures to assist the student to improve academic record. The student is placed on academic probation, which must be removed within one academic year. Failure to improve or to maintain the required GPA may result in termination of a student’s matriculation.


Students are expected to attend all scheduled course meetings and complete all assigned work. If extraordinary circumstances prevent attendance or the timely completion of assignments, the student should consult the faculty member to make alternate arrangements for meeting the course requirements. These situations may require an extension of time to complete a course. Extensions (“incompletes”) must be cleared by the announced date of the next semester. See academic calendar for last date to remove “incompletes” before they convert to administrative F grades.

Course Load

Graduate pre-service teacher education programs require a block of full time attendance, and involve credit loads as indicated in the program descriptions. For all other graduate programs, students are considered full time if they are enrolled in 12 credits per semester or the equivalent. Students employed full time may not register for more than six credits per semester unless granted permission from their academic adviser. Summer session students may take up to six credits per session for a maximum of 12 credits during June, July, and August, including for-credit institutes and tutorials.

Independent Studies/Tutorials

Students with good cause may request an independent study with a full time instructional staff member with expertise in the course content area. The approval of the faculty member, division chairperson, and the associate dean for academic affairs is required prior to beginning the independent study. Independent study applications must be submitted to the associate dean for academic affairs during the regular registration period. A maximum of six credits of independent study are permitted during a student’s academic program.

Transfers of Credit

Students may request a transfer of credit for a course completed at another accredited institution provided the course is at the graduate level and its content is equivalent to course content required/permitted for the degree at Fordham. The course may not have been used to fulfill requirements for another degree and it must have been completed with a grade of B or better (the grade P is normally not transferable unless it is the only passing grade given by the institution). In addition, the course must have been taken within the five years prior to date of anticipated completion of the degree in-progress at Fordham. Associated knowledge or performance assessments may be required, depending on the course.

To transfer credit, complete a Transfer of Credit form and submit it to your adviser and division chairperson with an official transcript of the credits and grade earned in the course along with a photocopy of the course description from the offering institution’s school bulletin. The division chair will forward the documents with a recommendation to the associate dean for academic affairs for approval. Up to six graduate credits may be transferred. It is the student’s responsibility to arrange for his or her transcript to be sent to the division office to accompany the Transfer of Credit form.

Transfer credits do not contribute to a student’s GPA. Please note that if transfer credit is granted for a course taken prior to admission to Fordham, the time limit for program completion is computed from the semester of the transferred course.

Exemption from Courses

Students may request an exemption from a required course if they have taken similar coursework previously or if they have equivalent or substantively related professional experience. To request an exemption, students must submit a completed Application for Exemption to their division chairperson. An exemption permits a student to take another appropriate course in lieu of a required course. An exemption does not change the minimum number of Fordham-earned credits required for a degree (e.g., 30 for a master’s and 45 for a doctorate). The application must be accompanied by documentary evidence to justify the exemption; for example, an official transcript and photocopy of the course description from the institution’s bulletin, a copy of a professional certification, or a signed statement from a supervisor indicating satisfactory completion of an equivalent experience. Associated knowledge and performance assessments may be required, depending on the course.

Time Limits

All requirements for the master’s degree or the professional diploma must be completed within five years of the first course applied to the degree. All requirements for the doctorate (PhD or EdD) must be completed within eight years of the first course applied to the degree. If transfer credit is granted for a course taken prior to admission to Fordham, the time limit will be computed from the semester of the transferred course. Students who do not complete their programs within the time limits may have their matriculation automatically terminated. Extensions of time to complete a degree may be granted by the associate dean for academic affairs upon the recommendation of the division chairperson and adviser, and submission of a satisfactory degree completion action plan. However, students are typically allowed only a single, one-year extension.

Leave of Absence

Students unable to actively pursue their studies and maintain matriculation through registration for a period of time should request a leave of absence. Time granted for a leave of absence does not extend the time limit for completing a degree program. Leaves of absence are awarded on a semester-by-semester basis and multiple leaves of absence are not typically permitted.


The following grades are used to indicate student performance and achievement: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, and F. If a student receives a grade of F for a course, it will remain on the student’s record, even after the course is retaken and a passing grade is earned subsequently. The grade of a repeated course is also recorded on the academic record and does not remove or replace a grade previously earned. The designations S, Satisfactory; U, Unsatisfactory; P, Pass; F, Fail are used to evaluate student work in dissertation seminar, internships, practica, and other specified courses. Professors may assign a grade of Incomplete (INC) for students whose work is incomplete but satisfactory on the last day of the courses. An In Progress (IP) is reserved for yearlong experiences and courses, and must not be used for one-semester experiences or courses.

Students whose coursework is incomplete but satisfactory on the last day of the course may receive a grade of INC. To remove an INC and receive credit for the course, the course requirements must be completed by the deadline posted in the academic calendar, and faculty members must submit a grade using a Change of Grade form. Failure to complete the course requirements by the date posted will result in a grade change from INC to F. Change of Grade forms are available in division offices. Changes to grades require approval of the division chair and associate dean for academic affairs, and if processed past the last date to change grades noted in the academic calendar, will require Vice President approval. All INCs that convert to a grade of F contribute to the student’s GPA.

Note: According to University policy and with the goal to preserve the integrity of academic student records, changes in course grades, other than Incompletes, will, in general, not be permitted. Submission of additional work at a later date, desire for an improved academic record, and failure to observe academic regulations such as those related to withdrawals, absences, or incompletes shall not be deemed sufficient reason to alter a student’s academic record.

Transcripts of Record

An official transcript is one bearing the seal of the University. Official transcripts of academic records are not given to students or graduates but are mailed directly to the college, professional or graduate school, government agency, or business concern designated to receive the transcript. An unofficial transcript may be given to the person whose credits are listed thereon and is marked “Unofficial.” The University accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of an unofficial transcript after it has been issued.

Transcripts may be requested from enrollment services in person, by mail, or online and should be requested at least 10 business days in advance of the date needed. No transcripts or certifications will be issued for students who have unpaid financial obligations owed to the University. A fee is charged for each transcript, payable at the time of request.

Fordham University will not assume responsibility for transcripts delayed because they were not requested in adequate time. All inquiries concerning issuance of transcripts must be made within six months of the original request.

Auditing Privileges

Individuals who have earned the baccalaureate, master’s degree, or professional diploma may apply to audit a course on a space-available basis for the purpose of personal or professional development. The fee for auditing courses is equal to tuition for one graduate credit. An application for nonmatriculated study and an add/drop form are used to request the audit privilege. Audits are approved by the associate dean for academic affairs.

No grades, credit, or transcripts are given for audited courses. Audited courses will not be considered in requests for exemptions, transfers, waivers, or advanced standing should the auditor subsequently be admitted to a degree program in the Graduate School of Education. An audited course may not be changed to a credit course. Institutes that are taken for noncredit are considered as audited and may not be changed to a credit experience after the institute is over.

The University also extends the privilege of auditing courses on a space-available basis without payment of fees to scholars with doctoral degrees from Fordham or other universities. There are some courses, for example upper-level, practica, laboratory, or seminar courses, that are not open to auditors. Application by letter should be made to the associate dean for academic affairs, who will provide a letter to be presented to the instructor of the course to be audited if the application is approved.

Grievance Procedures

It is the policy of Fordham University to protect the rights of each student to be free from unlawful discrimination. Students who believe they have been discriminated against with respect to participation in, access to, or benefits of any program or activity within the Graduate School of Education are advised to file a grievance. For additional information, write or call the associate dean for academic affairs or the chairperson of the division in which the program is offered.

General Requirements for Admissions Applications to GSE Programs

Criteria for admission vary according to degree program and specialty. Consult the program descriptions in this bulletin and our website for special requirements, including prerequisites. In addition to the program-specific criteria, all applicants seeking admission to graduate degree programs in the Graduate School of Education must meet the following requirements:

Liberal Arts and Science Background: Applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with a major or appropriate concentration in a liberal arts or science discipline or other appropriate and equivalent undergraduate preparation. They must also provide evidence of satisfactory undergraduate scholarship and potential for successful graduate study. To qualify for master’s or advanced certificate programs, applicants should have earned a minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of approximately 3.0, unless otherwise specified. To qualify for doctoral or professional diploma programs, applicants should have earned a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of approximately 3.5 (B+). Applicants to programs leading to fulfillment of state certification or licensing requirements must also meet the state’s related core and content requirements in the liberal arts and science areas. Programs leading to professional certification, or certification annotations or extensions, require possession of initial or provisional certification and may require teaching experience.

Transcripts: Applicants are required to submit official transcripts of all coursework taken (with the exception of study abroad course work). Only transcripts submitted to the Graduate School of Education’s Office of Admissions directly from the institutions that an applicant has attended/is attending are considered official. Official transcripts can be sent by mail or official electronic download. If a degree has been completed, the transcript must include the degree awarded and date conferred. Applicants who have been admitted to the Graduate School of Education, but have not yet completed their undergraduate degrees will be required to submit an official copy of their final undergraduate degree which indicates the degree awarded and date of degree conferral. 

Recommendations: Applicants are required to submit two letters of recommendation from respondents familiar with the applicant’s academic or professional background are required for application to all graduate degree and certificate  programs. Applicants may provide more than the required number of recommendations, however an application can not be completed until all recommendations have been received or written authorization to remove the named recommender from an application is sent the the Graduate School of Education’s Office of Admissions. Respondents with familial ties (i.e. parent, sibling, spouse, grand parent, etc.) to the applicant are not permitted.

Personal Statement: Applicants are required to submit a clear and concise personal statement with their admission application. Personal statement requirements vary by program and can be found on the Personal Statement section of the online application.

Resume/C.V.: Applicants are required to submit a resume or curriculum Vitae (CV) with their online application

Application Fee: Applicants are required to submit an application fee (see Tuition and Fees section for more information on fee amount) in order for their application to be considered complete for review by the faculty admissions committee.

Standardized Test Requirements:  Most applicants are required to submit standardized test scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) with their application and submit an official test score report from testing sites. Test score submission requirements vary by program and are as follows:

  • Teacher Education Programs: ALL programs (MAT, GRE General Test or significantly equivalent examination)
  • Educational Leadership Programs: ALL Doctoral programs (GRE General Test or MAT); Masters and Advanced Certificate Programs (MAT, GRE General Test, or significantly equivalent examination)
  • Psychological and Educational Services Programs: Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology (GRE General Test); Ph.D. in School Psychology (GRE General Test)
  • Contemporary Learning and Interdisciplinary Research PhD Program (GRE General Test or MAT)

The required exam(s) should be taken at least two months prior to the application deadline to ensure timely receipt of scores by GSE admissions. GRE School Code: 2259. MAT School Code: 1453. Information about the Graduate Record Examination is available at the Educational Testing Service, Graduate Record Examinations website Information about the Miller Analogies Test is available from its website at

Additional Review of English Language Proficiency: Depending on the review of an application, official transcripts, personal statement, and test of English Language Proficiency, accepted students might be required to engage in further evaluation and study in English language prior to or in conjunction with admission and matriculation in the Graduate School of Education. For further information about the tests, go to or All students are expected to demonstrate a satisfactory level of written and spoken English proficiency in coursework and written reports throughout their graduate study. Inability to maintain an acceptable level of English is a basis for review of student status and may result in referral to Fordham’s Institute of American Language and Culture (ILAC), academic probation, suspension, or termination of matriculation.

Proof of Immunization: New York state law requires all students born on or after January 1, 1957, to have on file proof of immunity from measles, mumps, and rubella. These vaccinations must have been given on or after the first birthday. To comply with this law, accepted students must submit proof of immunization signed by a physician or other health official. Students who fail to provide proof of immunization are not permitted to register for classes. In addition, students must either have the meningococcal vaccine or sign a waiver declining the vaccine. If you have questions regarding immunization, call the Fordham University Health Center at 212-636-7160.

Admission Requirements for the Five-Year Integrated Teacher Education Program 

There are two application stages to the Five-Year Integrated Teacher Education Track. The first stage is a preliminary declaration of interest that results in core and major guidance:

  • Complete a Declaration of Interest Form and submit to the Five-Year Track coordinator at the Graduate School of Education.
  • Plan to seek program advisement about core courses. Fordham core must include the courses and content required by NYSED for teacher candidates; some core courses may fulfill more than one NYSED requirement. 
  • Meet with Five-Year Track coordinator. 

The second stage is the formal application to the appropriate graduate program of the Graduate School of Education:

  • Complete a GSE admissions application and submit all required supplemental documentation* in the spring of the junior year (available online).
  • Provide a letter from the undergraduate adviser indicating that 12 GSE credits will be completed during senior year, including field experience and reflective seminar.
  • Maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (B or better).

*Fordham Juniors who apply to the 5-Year Integrated Track program are not required to submit standardized test scores from the Miller Analogies Test, Graduate Record Examination, or significantly equivalent exam with their application to the program. However, official test scores must be submitted during the first semester as a fully-matriculated GSE student.

Five-Year Track Core and Content Requirements

Teacher preparation for state certification includes requirements for general education and pedagogical core courses, as well as specific content courses related to the grade(s) and subjects the candidate will teach. The requirements differ across certification areas and are complex.

They affect the choices that are made to meet the undergraduate core curriculum distribution, as well as selections and scheduling of courses within the major. 

For example, to meet state certification requirements in the general education core, teacher education candidates need the following liberal arts and science requirements: artistic expression, communication, or written analysis and expression; concepts in history and social sciences; a language other than English; scientific and mathematical processes; and literature. These core/content requirements do not replace Fordham’s requirements.

Students must also meet the admissions prerequisites for their chosen master’s program. For example, students pursuing adolescence education must have the required 30 credits in specific content areas. More information about the requirements for each certification and major can be obtained from the coordinator of the Five-Year Integrated Track in the Division of Curriculum and Teaching at 212-636-6450. To meet all requirements for the baccalaureate degree and a master’s degree, candidates work closely with their Fordham undergraduate advisers and their GSE adviser.

Admission Procedures

Before applying for admission to any program of the Graduate School of Education, carefully review its description, specific admission criteria, and program of study, which are listed in this bulletin and on our website. Questions about the program, including issues of eligibility, certification, or requirements, may be addressed to the program coordinator or the chairperson of the division within which the program is offered.

Applications are evaluated by faculty committees and will not be  reviewed unless they are complete. An application is complete when the application is submitted; the fee is paid; and all required official transcripts, recommendations, official test scores, and other materials have been received by the admissions office. Documents submitted as part of an application become part of the records of the Graduate School of Education and will not be returned or duplicated for any purpose.

Most Graduate School of Education programs admit students throughout the academic year; however, doctoral programs, Counseling, the professional diploma programs in School Psychology, and the English as a World Language program have special deadlines.

Applicants will be notified of admissions decisions as soon as possible after completed applications are received and reviewed by faculty admission committees. Following notification of admission, students must: 

  • Respond to their offer of admission. Accepted offers of admission require an admissions deposit. The admissions deposit can be paid online by credit/debit or electronic check and is non-refundable. Accepted students should refer to their admission letter for their required deposit amount. The admission deposit is credited toward the first tuition bill.
  • Meet with their assigned faculty advisers to discuss their programs and course selection.
  • Register by the start of the academic term to which they were admitted or request a deferment (for up to one academic year from the term of acceptance) in writing. Requests are reviewed and approved pending faculty decision.
  • Application materials of non-enrolled accepted students will be destroyed after three years.
  • Submit Immunization form to the University Health Services Center before the start of the semester*.
  • Submit the Financial Responsibility agreement*.

*Failure to complete these items by their respective deadlines will result in administrative withdrawal from classes

Applicants from Countries Other than the United States

Requirements for applications from persons who are from countries other than the United States are shown below. Required application materials for non-U.S. applicants include:

  • the completed online application;
  • recommendation letters and application fee;
  • personal statement and resume;
  • appropriate test scores (including the TOEFL or IELTS, if necessary);
  • proof of financial support; and
  • transcript evaluations from World Evaluation Services (WES) that include a course-by-course evaluation and conversion to a U.S. scale, grade equivalencies to a U.S. scale, and a final grade point average converted to a U.S. scale for applicants who are admitted before their undergraduate studies have been completed..

A certified translation is required for any documents submitted in languages other than English. Admission procedures require an evaluation of prior educational experience to document equivalency to a U.S.-earned baccalaureate or master’s degree. Information about this evaluation may be obtained by contacting World Education Services at This is the only company from which we accept evaluations. Persons who are not U.S. citizens are not eligible for Graduate School of Education scholarships but can apply for graduate assistant positions if enrolled fulltime (at least 12 credits) and meet the GPA requirement for graduate assistantships.

All students must have oral and written English language skills sufficient for successful completion of their program. If it is determined that a student’s English skills are insufficient, the student will be required to improve his or her English skills by taking classes in English as a Second Language.

Applicants who expect to use the F-1 or J-1 Student Visa must prove that they have financial support to cover tuition and living expenses for each year that they will study at the University. International students must be enrolled full time (12 credits) in order to comply with the student visa regulations.

The Affidavit of Support form is available online at, and must be submitted to the Office of International Students (OIS). A Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) cannot be issued until this form is completed and returned with the required documentation. Contact OIS for additional information at 212-636-6270. For more information on the latest visa issues, visit the Department of State website at

Requirements for Enrollment for Non-degree Graduate Study

Applicants for non-degree (or non-matriculated) courses must provide proof of the following:

  • earned baccalaureate or graduate degree from an accredited college or university (A copy of your diploma or transcript is acceptable and can be uploaded to your online application);
  • proof of identity, in the form of a government-issued photo ID (driver license, passport, etc.); and 
  • course approval from an academic adviser for your courses

Applicants must meet with a Fordham Graduate School of Education adviser during our in-person registration hours.

Non-matriculated Student Status

Undergraduate seniors already enrolled at Fordham University whose programs do not require their full time attendance may register as non-matriculated students; written consents from the GSE associate dean for academic affairs and their school’s dean is required. A maximum of six credits will be allowed.

If individuals have recently been accepted or are currently matriculated in another Fordham University academic program, they must take an official leave of absence from or withdraw from the program prior to seeking non-matriculated status in the Graduate School of Education.

Applicants who have been denied admission to the Graduate School of Education are not eligible to enroll as non-matriculated students.

Non-degree Credit Limits and Course Limitations

  • The Graduate School of Education provides opportunities for non-matriculated students to take courses for any of our three academic terms: fall, spring, or summer.
  • Nondegree students may not exceed more than 12 credits of non-matriculated study in the Graduate School of Education. Enrollment as a nonmatriculated student does not imply acceptance or eligibility to any degree program in the Graduate School of Education.
  • Courses taken as a nonmatriculated student do not automatically count toward a graduate degree program.
  • Nonmatriculated students are not eligible to take advanced level courses (level 7000 or higher), courses requiring pre- or corequisites, independent studies, tutorials, field placement, practica, or those reserved for a cohort group.
  • All programs, with the exception of the doctoral programs in Administration and Supervision, permit non-matriculated study.
  • International students who wish to take non-matriculated courses are permitted to do so, however must take a minimum of 12 credits.

Non-degree Tuition and Fees

Non-degree (or non-matriculated) students pay the regular tuition rate plus the following additional fees:

  • University General Fee: $90 per term, fall and spring only
  • GSE Taskstream-TK20 Assessment Fee:  $100 one-time-only fee, assessed at time of first registration
  • Technology Access Fee: $138 per term, fall and spring only

Non-degree Financial Aid and Scholarships

Nonmatriculated students are not eligible for Graduate School of Education scholarships or graduate assistantships.
Nonmatriculated students are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Tuition and Fees

The University and its Board of Trustees reserve the right to adjust these charges without notice. Fees and charges during the period covered by this bulletin will change. The charges effective fall semester 2017 are as follows:


  • Tuition per credit: $1,367
  • Tutorial course, per credit: $1,367
  • Doctoral Residency Seminar: $1,367
  • PhD Internship PSGE 7667/8 (two semesters): $1,367
  • College Teaching Internship PSGE 8100 (two semesters): $1,367

Fees and Other Charges

  • General University fee: $81
  • Technology access fee: $206
  • Application fee: $70
  • Auditing fee (equivalent of one credit): $1,367
  • Copyright of dissertation (optional): $55
  • Fieldwork/malpractice insurance (one-time fee): $60
  • Late registration fee (matriculated students only): $250
  • Assessment Fee (Taskstream-TK20) (one-time fee): $100
  • Late payment fee: Minimum of $15 or 1.5 percent per month on outstanding balance, whichever is greater
  • Master’s and Professional Maintenance of matriculation: $300
  • Dissertation seminar: $4,101
  • Doctoral maintenance of matriculation: $684 (½ credit fee)
  • Dissertation format review (each review after the first): $500
  • Child Abuse Identification Training Workshop EDGE 0210: $65
  • Schools Against Violence Education Training Workshop EDGE 0230: $65
  • Dignity for all Students (DASA) Training Workshop EDGE0260: $80
  • Master’s Capstone Portfolio Evaluation fee: $300
  • Field Work Supervision fee: $684 (½ credit fee)
  • Psychology externship fee PSGE 7510/7511/7530/7531/7532: $65
  • Lab fee (Psychology) PSGE 7508/7613: $250
  • Lab fee (Psychology) PSGE 6341/6607/6609/7422/7612: $150
  • Second Master’s Comprehensive Exam (when not registered for a course): $5200
  • Second Doctoral Comprehensive Exam (when if not registered for a course): $500

Liability Insurance: Students enrolled in programs requiring fieldwork/practica/student teaching/internship will be charged a one-time insurance fee at the beginning of their enrollment in the program that will cover them under Fordham University’s liability insurance policy throughout the semesters in which they complete their fieldwork/practica/student teaching/internship. Students are also strongly encouraged to obtain their own personal policy through professional organizations.

Tuition and fees are billed after registration and must be paid on or before the invoice due date. Checks should be made payable to Fordham University. There will be a $20 penalty and handling charge if a check is returned from the bank for insufficient funds or any other reason. Should this occur, the University may require settlement of any subsequent obligations with cash or certified check.

The University reserves the right to cancel registration or bar further registration and not release any transcript or record until all financial obligations are satisfied. Delinquency of outstanding balances, including those from deferred or other payment plans, are subject to collection by the University or a designated agent. Students are liable for any costs incurred in the collection of
delinquent accounts.

Cost of Attendance

The estimated cost of attendance per year based on full-time enrollment for fall and spring semesters (12 credits each semester) is:

  • Tuition (24 credits): $32,808.00
  • General University fee (two semesters): $162
  • Technology Access fee (two semesters): $412
  • Books and supplies: $1,000
  • Total (exclusive of special fees): $34,264.

Refund Policies and Procedures

The University’s refund policies and procedures ensure equitable refunds to students who withdraw from all or a portion of their studies or when payment is in excess of the total charges. Application and tuition deposit fees are not refundable. Registration, late payment, student activities, laboratory, maintenance of matriculation, and other special fees are not refundable after classes begin.

New students who want to withdraw the acceptance of our offer of admission are required to write a letter stating that they want to withdraw from GSE. Letters should include date of withdrawal, student ID number, and program name. Letters can be paper copy or emailed from Fordham email accounts. Letters should be directed to the admissions office at

Continuing GSE students who want to withdraw are required to write a letter stating that they want to withdraw from GSE. Letters should include date of withdrawal, student ID number, and program name. Letters can be paper copy or emailed from Fordham email accounts. Letters should be directed to the academic adviser. Academic advisers will sign off on the withdrawal request and (with division chair approval) forward it to academic records in the enrollment services office on the second floor of Lowenstein.

A request for a refund must be submitted to the bursar’s office. Refund checks are mailed to the student’s permanent address unless otherwise specified in the request. No refunds will be processed until the University has actually received funds from third-party payers (such as employers, governmental agencies, and payment plan service providers).

Students who are withdrawing should contact enrollment services at 212-636-6700 for counseling regarding the effect the withdrawal has on balances due the University and financial aid. The refund calculation is based on the following:
First-time and continuing students not receiving Title IV (federal) assistance are subject to the Institutional Refund Policy.
For continuing students receiving Title IV assistance, refunds must be calculated using both the federal policy and institutional policy. The calculation that gives the largest refund to the federal programs must be applied.
First-time students attending Fordham University receiving Title IV assistance and withdrawing during the first nine weeks of the term are subject to a federal pro rata refund calculation as mandated by the Higher Education Amendments (HEA) of 1992.
Students who received aid as cash must be placed into repayment status for those aid programs.

Note: For students who received Title IV assistance, refunds must be returned to the programs in the following order: unsubsidized Stafford loan, subsidized Stafford loan, Plus loan, Perkins loan,
Pell, SEOF, other Title IV aid, other federal aid, Fordham grants and scholarships, TAP, other aid. Any additional monies will be returned to the student. The following refund policies are based on 100 percent tuition payment. The refund period begins with the first day of the term.

Note: The dates and refund portions are determined each year; the information below is approximate and subject to change. Check the GSE calendar online at for current Information.

See the University's refund calculator at

Refund Policy Appeal Process

A student may appeal decisions in writing to the associate dean for academic affairs. The request should include all relevant information describing the special circumstances upon which the appeal is based.

GSE Financial Aid

School-Based aid consists of funding provided by Fordham GSE. It is separate from federal or state financial aid and external funding.

All students applying for GSE School-Based Aid must meet the GPA criteria. ;Award eligibility is based on students' final, cumulative, degree-granting GPA. Applicants for GSE Scholarships must also complete a FAFSA and meet financial need.

GSE Scholarship Eligibility

To be eligible for GSE School-based Scholarships, students must:

  • Meet minimum GPA requirements: 3.5 undergraduate GPA and 3.75 graduate GPA.
  • Maintain enrollment in two courses for fall and spring semesters and one course during each summer sessions.
  • Demonstrate financial need by completing a FAFSA, for more information on how to complete a FAFSA please visit Fordham University’s Federal School Code is #002722.

GSE Graduate Assistantship Eligibility

To be eligible for a graduate assistantship, students must:

  • Meet the minimum GPA requirements: 3.5 undergraduate GPA and 3.75 graduate GPA.
  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 9+ credits in any degree program within the Graduate School of Education (with an exception to the ELAP Doctoral programs, students must be enrolled in 6+ credits per semester).

NOTE: Students may apply for multiple scholarships but can receive financial support from only one scholarship program at a time, with the exception of the Diversity Scholarship. Additional information is available on the GSE Financial Aid website.

Federal Financial Aid

Students matriculated in a degree program who are enrolled at least half time in each term of the loan period and have filed a valid FAFSA may apply for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan and Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan. After students file the FAFSA, they must review their Student Aid Report for accuracy or missing data. The annual limit for the Unsubsidized loan is $20,500. Students who plan to borrow the Unsubsidized loan must complete the electronic loan request form.

The Graduate PLUS loan can be requested at The Office of Student Financial Services will review and certify loan eligibility based on federal guidelines. Interest begins to accrue on these loans at the time of disbursement. Borrowers are not required to make payment while in school but are encouraged to make quarterly interest payments to limit the total amount of interest paid.

Federal regulations require that before funds may be disbursed, first-time Fordham borrowers must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling Session at

Federal Loan Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Criteria for federal loans include the following:

  • Students must maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0 for ADV, ADVN, MS, MSE, MST degree programs, and 3.5 for EdD and PhD degree programs.
  • Students must attempt and complete no fewer than six credit hours per term. The Matriculated Student Status Certificate form must be completed by a student who may be registered for fewer credits to qualify for half, three-quarters, or full time certification for purposes of Veteran’s Benefits and federal financial aid eligibility.
  • Maintain active term matriculation status (from term admitted to term graduated).
  • Students must complete the course of study within five years for ADV, ADVN, MS, MSE, MST degree programs and within eight years for EdD or PhD degree programs.

Students who fail to attain satisfactory progress at the end of each academic year will lose federal financial aid eligibility. If the student resumes satisfactory academic progress, the student will regain federal financial aid eligibility as long as he/she maintains satisfactory academic progress.

Teacher Certification

Students who meet all program requirements, complete the course of study, and meet established field experience competencies are eligible to receive Fordham University’s endorsement for New York state certification in their program area provided they also have earned a passing score on the relevant New York state teacher examinations ; and completed workshops in child abuse identification, Dignity for All Students Act (DASA), schools against violence education, drug and alcohol abuse, and health and physical education. Note: Some programs have additional certification requirements.