The Online MSW program can be completed in as few as four terms for traditional students and two terms for advanced standing students. Each term comprises two eight-week mini sessions of intensive instruction, providing a more manageable balance of coursework and field education, especially for students who choose to enroll in full-time MSW study. Our Online MSW program combines the best of both worlds where you will meet weekly with your professor and classmates in synchronous sessions as well as pace your own learning with asynchronous course content.
Patricia Heard, Senior Director of Online Education 914-367-3022 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Field education is an integral part of your Master of Social Work (MSW) program, whether you are enrolled as a traditional or advanced standing student. Our approach is to put you in the field soon after you start classes so you can spend the maximum amount of time refining your skills while helping both individuals and communities.
When it is time to start your field education, a placement specialist will meet with you to discuss your goals and secure appropriate sites for you near your area. The Field Education Department will approve each placement before you begin, ensuring your sites reflect our program’s core values while providing meaningful experience that you can apply across a variety of professional settings after graduating.
During each placement, you will be supervised by a professional social worker employed at your site. In order for you to receive the best training possible, supervisors are required to have an MSW and complete a seminar in field education.
Field education comprises a foundation phase, advanced phase, and a field advising seminar.
- Foundation field education: Traditional students spend the first half of their curriculum applying generalist social work skills while supporting individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities.
- Advanced field education: All students complete specialist field placements that support micro and macro practice skills.
- Field advising seminar: All students take the field advising seminar each year they are enrolled. Led by their faculty adviser, students meet in small groups to discuss their field education experience, problem solve, and create a community of learning related to practice and field education.
For more Detail Information, please click here.
- Academic calendar 2018-2019 Online M.S.W.
- Academic calendar for Online Students beginning Fall of 2018 (New Curriculum)
- Academic calendar for Online Students beginning before Fall of 2018 (Legacy Curriculum)
- M.S.W. student handbook
- Online Field handbook