English as a World Language, M.S.
This Master of Science degree program is designed for persons who want to develop expertise in teaching English to speakers of other languages but are not pursuing a state teaching certificate.
It is appropriate for those who work in adult, corporate, or community education, and for international educators preparing to teach English as a foreign language.
In addition to the general admission and completion requirements for master’s-level study at the Graduate School of Education, candidates must have the following:
- a 30-credit major or concentration in English language arts, social studies, science, technology, or mathematics
- candidates for whom English is a second language are required to take and achieve a passing score in one of two tests: the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELT (International English Language Test). The following scores are the recommended minimum, current1 test scores for English language proficiency for admission to the Graduate School of Education:
- IELTS1: 7 for General Test Score; no subset can be lower than 6
- TOEFL1: 577 for paper test, 90 for Internet based (IBT) test
- 12 college credits in a language other than English
- 3 credits in English Literature
- 3 credits in English Composition/Writing
Scores can be no more than two years old.
Program of Study
|UEGE 5102||HISTORICAL, PHILOSOPHICAL, AND MULTICULTURAL FOUNDATIONS OF AMERICAN EDUCATION||3|
|CTGE 5842||SECOND LANGUAGE ACQUISITION AND ASSESSMENT 1||3|
|CTGE 5855||ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE FOR ADULTS 1||3|
|CTGE 6502||ENGLISH AS A WORLD LANGUAGE||3|
|CTGE 5845||LEARNING CONTENT THROUGH LANGUAGE IN MULTILINGUAL CLASSROOMS 1||3|
|CTGE 5846||TEACHING ENGLISH ORACY AND LITERACY TO SPEAKERS OF OTHER LANGUAGES 1||3|
|CTGE 6401||TEACHING THE STRUCTURE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE 1||3|
|CTGE 5841||PRINCIPLES OF BILINGUAL EDUCATION||3|
|CTGE 5849||DESIGNING CULTURALLY AND TECHNOLOGICALLY RELEVANT INSTRUCTION||3|
|CTGE 5847||PRACTICUM IN TEACHING ENGLISH TO SPEAKERS OF OTHER LANGUAGES 1, 2||3|
|CTGE 0701||MASTER’S COMPREHENSIVE EXAM/ASSESSMENT||0|
There is a fee associated with this course.