School District Leadership, Advanced Certificate
The advanced certificate program is for those seeking to qualify for the New York State Education Department’s School District Leader (SDL) certification. The advanced certificate SDL program may also be taken as an extension program for current students and recent graduates from our educational leadership programs.
School District Leader (SDL) Certification
SDL certification is required by the New York State Education Department for anyone seeking school-district-level positions, such as superintendent, assistant deputy superintendent, district supervisor, etc. in a New York state public school district. Students within and outside New York State are responsible for knowing and understanding individual state SDL requirements as well as reciprocity policies.
Applicants must meet the general requirements for admission to graduate study in the Graduate School of Education, as well as the following program-specific admissions requirements:
- possess an initial or professional state certificate in teaching or other appropriate and acceptable educational specialty
- have earned a minimum earned undergraduate and graduate grade point averages of approximately 3.0 (B or better)
- submit two references (if currently working in a pre-K-12 setting, one reference should be from your current school principal)
- submit proof of immunization against measles, meningitis, mumps, and rubella
- possess a satisfactory command of oral and written English
- have three years of paid, full time approved, and successful teaching experience by completion of the degree
Applicants are responsible for ascertaining which NYSED certificate is required for the positions they are seeking.
Candidates seeking SDL certification must take the following five courses, in addition to, or beyond, a master’s degree:
|ASGE 6224||THE SUPERINTENDENCY||3|
|ASGE 6225||BOARDS OF EDUCATION||3|
|ASGE 6227||CASES AND SIMULATIONS IN ADMINISTRATION AND SUPERVISION||3|
|ASGE 7444||LEADING A LEARNING ORGANIZATION||3|
|ASGE 7530||CLINICAL PRACTICE IN ADMINISTRATION AND SUPERVISION (Internship District Level)||3|
There is required fieldwork associated with all courses in this program.
Current students and recent graduates (within the past 5 years) of the Division of Educational Leadership, Administration, and Policy are eligible to take this program as an extension. Contact the program coordinator for additional information.
In addition to the general degree-completion requirements of the Graduate School of Education, candidates for the MSE in administration and supervision or the advanced certificate in school district leadership must meet these requirements:
- complete the prescribed program of study, which includes 30 credits in the master’s degree program in educational administration and supervision or 15 credits in the advanced certificate program in school district leadership
- maintain a minimum overall graduate grade point average of 3.0 (B or better)
- if seeking the SBL certification, complete a year-long, six-credit internship, which is generally done in the candidate’s own school
- if seeking the SDL certification, complete a one-semester, three-credit, district-level internship
- for the master’s degree program, pass a master’s comprehensive examination (Students must register in advance for this during the semester in which they complete their course work. See programs of study.) for the master’s degree program, apply for graduation at the appropriate point in time