Childhood Special Education, M.S.T.
The master’s degree program in childhood special education is an integrated dual-certificate program, and leads to endorsement for New York state teacher certification as a childhood teacher (grade 1-6) and as a teacher of children with disabilities in childhood education.
The program includes coursework in child development, instructional practices for children in regular and special-education settings, and professional studies. The field experiences are coordinated with courses to help candidates understand and apply theory in effective practice. Student-teaching experience is gained in both regular and special-education settings. This program is nationally recognized by the Council for Exceptional Children.
Applicants to all childhood programs must meet the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School of Education and the requirements for admission to initial teacher education programs.
In addition, applicants for any of the childhood programs must have the following:
- an undergraduate degree in one of the liberal arts or sciences related to the areas of the New York state student learning standards, including English, American, or comparative literature; mathematics; an area of science; modern languages; media studies; women’s studies; political science; computer science; information science; communications; history; sociology; anthropology; economics; the arts; or psychology
- college-level study in the following general education core areas: artistic expression, concepts in history and social sciences, a language other than English, scientific and mathematical processes, written analysis and expression, and communication
In addition, candidates for the bilingual extension must provide evidence of their competence in a language other than English by fulfilling one of the following three options:
- Taking and obtaining a passing score on the ACTFL Language Test (oral and written) in the target language;
- Documentation in transcripts of having completed undergraduate studies in the target language; or
- Agreeing to complete successfully two courses in the target language
Program of Study
|UEGE 5102||HISTORICAL, PHILOSOPHICAL, AND MULTICULTURAL FOUNDATIONS OF AMERICAN EDUCATION||3|
|PSGE 5316||PSYCHOLOGY OF CHILD DEVELOPMENT AND LEARNING||3|
|CTGE 5245||CHILDREN’S LITERATURE IN A MULTICULTURAL SOCIETY||3|
|CTGE 5247||TEACHING LINGUISTICALLY AND CULTURALLY DIVERSE CHILDREN||3|
|CTGE 5534||BEGINNING READING AND WRITING IN INCLUSIVE CLASSROOMS||3|
|CTGE 5548||LITERACY ACROSS THE CURRICULUM IN INCLUSIVE CLASSROOMS||3|
|CTGE 5227||TEACHING MATHEMATICS TO CHILDREN||3|
|CTGE 5242||TEACHING SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY TO CHILDREN||3|
|CTGE 5212||TEACHING THE ARTS IN CHILDHOOD EDUCATION||1|
|CTGE 5065||INTEGRATING TECHNOLOGY INTO ELEMENTARY EDUCATION||1|
|CTGE 5066||TEACHING SOCIAL STUDIES TO CHILDREN||3|
|CTGE 5155||SPECIAL EDUCATION FOUNDATIONS: PAST, PRESENT, FUTURE||3|
|CTGE 5159||ASSESSMENT OF ALL CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES||3|
|CTGE 5161||DIFFERENTIATING INSTRUCTION FOR ALL STUDENTS||3|
|PSGE 6324||ENVIRONMENTS FOR MANAGING CHALLENGING BEHAVIORS||3|
|CTGE 5551||REFLECTIVE PRACTICE AND FIELD EXPERIENCE I IN AN INCLUSIVE CHILDHOOD CLASSROOM||1|
|CTGE 5552||REFLECTIVE PRACTICE AND FIELD EXPERIENCE II IN AN INCLUSIVE CHILDHOOD CLASSROOM||1|
|CTGE 5553||REFLECTIVE PRACTICE AND STUDENT TEACHING I IN AN INCLUSIVE CHILDHOOD CLASSROOM||1|
|CTGE 5554||REFLECTIVE PRACTICE AND STUDENT TEACHING II IN AN INCLUSIVE CHILDHOOD CLASSROOM||1|
|CTGE 0718||CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION PORTFOLIO||0|
The workshops listed below are required of all Initial Teaching (M.S.T.) programs as well as certain other programs related to NY state licensure.
|EDGE 0230||SCHOOLS AGAINST VIOLENCE EDUCATION WORKSHOP||0|
|EDGE 0210||CHILD ABUSE IDENTIFICATION AND REPORTING WORKSHOP||0|
|EDGE 0260||DIGNITY FOR ALL STUDENTS TRAINING||0|
|EDGE 0220||DRUG, ALCOHOL, AND TOBACCO TRAINING||0|
In addition to the workshops listed above, the following workshops are also required of students in this MST program:
|EDGE 0250||HEALTH AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION TRAINING||0|
|EDGE 0270||Autism Training Module||0|